1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

HELP New teacher first interview lesson ideas!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by katieliz, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Please help me I am going for my first interview for an NQT position I have to prepare a numeracy lesson based on the book The Hungry Caterpillar. They have been introduced to addition before the holidays in a very practical way. I have to do a short mental oral starter then a carpet session using the book. I was thinking of doing something with the fruit? I then have to plan group activities differentiating for the tops middles and bottoms again based on the hungry caterpillar.

My head is spinning so please any advice would be fantastic I really want to do well in this interview.
    Thanks.

2. Please help me I am going for my first interview for an NQT position I have to prepare a numeracy lesson based on the book The Hungry Caterpillar. They have been introduced to addition before the holidays in a very practical way. I have to do a short mental oral starter then a carpet session using the book. I was thinking of doing something with the fruit? I then have to plan group activities differentiating for the tops middles and bottoms again based on the hungry caterpillar.

My head is spinning so please any advice would be fantastic I really want to do well in this interview.
    Thanks.

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Hello
    I would be thinking along the lines of
    Introduction - using a caterpillar glove puppet or toy - and talking about the story a little, what caterpillars like to eat etc.
    You could talk about adding addition ask what they know about this already ( you could write it down if there is a whiteboard)
    Reading the story
    Activity - I would be thinking of using fruit - could be maths counting equipment - or simple multi link bricks or even laminated fruit pictures if you don't know what you will find there and using the puppet or toy to do some addition - putting two bananas in a bag or tin (tins are good they can be rattled) and then adding one more - guess how many - hold up fingers so you can assess - whatever you usually do just do about three examples - always adding one (or two, you choose)
    you can then put the fruit or whatever out along the floor and count up together
    you could up the game be having the sums written out on cards eg 2 + 1 = 3
    Don't do too much -assess their interest
    Brief sum up - use the learning objective - we have been adding two amounts together
    I am looking for children who can do this.
    Activities can be exploring your prepared activity as modelled, pegging fruit pictures on a line and counting, using the sum cards with multi link or other apparatus to show the bonds ( bonds is like er number bonds - a very high ability group could show you all the different ways they can make five or even ten using multi link two colours or numicon if that is available
    Extension could be a my favourite fruit graph and talking about this and using it to plan snack times using the information
    Most of this will just be planning of course but do it in detail - it will be part of your interview outcomes.

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Another activity you could plan would be ordering the fruit the caterpillar ate ( probably lower ability) and there are pictures for this on line somewhere.

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

DLTK website has pictures you will enjoy using for ordering the fruit.
    Anonther extension/link you could plan up for is a fruit shop, or links to healthy eating for Physical Development/tasting unusual fruit/ Fruit from other countries eg mangoes, dates for Multi cultural link - reference to Handa's Suprise too.