1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - New children do they count towards SATs % or not?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ShyTea, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Another teacher has told me that any child starting our school after Y4 will not be counted towards our SATs because they haven't been in school long enough. Does anyone know if this is true? I can't find any information about it at all. Thanks

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I don't know the official answer to your question - but I'm pretty sure that they do count. I don't remember ever excluding a child's result because of when they joined the school. Perhaps if you posted in SMT someone could give the authorative answer.

3. They do count!

We have had children start in year 6 who count!

4. I think this may have arisen when HTs are using SATs results for statistical analysis. I know when my son took his tests in Y6, the HT said to me that if he couldn't use my son's results their VA was very different. The addition of my son in Y4 gave a very different picture, than if he looked at the progress of children who had been in the school from Reception.
    Sorry if it's a bit rambling but you might get the idea!

5. True they wont count on heads stats for children who have made 2 levels progress from Yr 2

6. seakay

seakay New commenter

I'm not too sure this is correct. Children who enter your school after year 2 at any stage unless it's a month or two before the tests (IIRC) will count towards the schools CVA. Only children who weren't in school at Year Two ie children from abroad will not count (for CVA). While they wouldn't count for CVA though, they would count towards the report for overall "success" in the Year Six Tests.

7. If they are new to the country and new to English they can be taken off statistics published at beginning of autumn term.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We had 2 children arrive after Easter last year and they counted

9. All children count towards the published results it makes no difference when they started. Most SMT's will take them off of their in school data if they start late in year 6 - but thats all!

10. If they came from overseas from Year 5 onwards their SATs score can be discredited, however if they have just come from a different school they still count and the progress will still be compared to their Year 2 data from the previous school they were in

11. Yes they do count. Year 6 children can count if they start during the Spring term !!.
    There is a cut off date. Can't recall it as I have not taught year 6 for a few years. I'm sure that childen can leave your school and go elsewhere but their results are counted in your school depending on when they left.

12. imc

imc

New comers will count twards the years results for % at levels and for progress. CVA calculations have traditionally made a small allowance for newcomers but thats all. Where newcomers might s significantly change outcomes, schools will no doubt point this out to OFSTED or the LA when scrutinised (probably depending on the direction of the change.

13. imc

imc

towards

14. T34

T34 Established commenter

Yes, of course theycount. Why do you think HTs are reluctant to take another schools rejects in year 6? Could mean the difference between survival or the sack for the HT when CVA comes out and OFSTED appear.