1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - Netbook vs Laptop

Discussion in 'English' started by CrunchyMcFlurry, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Help student teachers please I'm so confused! My dad and my brother keep telling me to get the netbook for my PGCE year but I also keep hearing from others I should get a laptop. What do u all use? I'm doing an English Secondary PGCE - which one is better and why?

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I know it's not the same but I have a laptop and an iPad. I use the iPad more than the laptop for non-work related stuff (email, shopping online, Iplayer, surfing websites etc), but I use my laptop for producing documents, syncing folders with the school computers, data on spreadsheets etc). The iPad just isn't so good for producing things like spreadsheets and powerpoints, or for managing files that you need to use elsewhere. My understanding is that net books often are less functional when it comes to things like PowerPoint, but I may be doing them an injustice. You need to weigh up how much hard drive space you need, what else you want to do (eg spec for gaming isn't important to me, but it may be for you), the processor and RAM you get for your money and how important portability is. Personally, I would go for a small laptop unless your NetBook is going to be a second computer.

3. Thanks very much! Decided on the laptop! I may get an Ipad or netbook later on when I'm actually a teacher and earning some £ because they do seem really handy [​IMG]

4. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Good choice. Netbook and ipad aren't really prime working machines, unless you like working your eyesight. Try laptopsdirect.co.uk for best value.

5. "Good choice. Netbook and ipad aren't really prime working machines, unless you like working your eyesight."

A really useful thread addressing succinctly the questions that have been worrying this technophobe.

"unless you like working your eyesight"

- especially relevant if we are all going to be working to 68! My son said get an i-pad, but what does a 15 year old know about the working world? Thanks.