1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by kwilson219, Mar 4, 2011.

1. I am wanting to get onto an access to teaching course however, I keep failing the numeracy aspect of the assessment test. I am hereby enquiring some assistance to find the correct resources to be successful at this.
    Kevin

2. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Hi Kevin,
    Can you tell us a little more about the course or provide a link to it, please? The only courses I am aware of that are similar to this do not require any particular maths qualification in advance of starting the course.

3. Amazon have some books on the QTS tests if thats the test you are not enjoying?
    TBH most of the current QTS standards test focuses on handling data/ratio/% and basic numeracy so if you are being examined on that aspect then you could look at such topics.
    As above though, some more info may help.
    ps - failing the numeracy test doesnt manage to stop PE teachers slipping through the system [​IMG]

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

If I'm right, this is a numeracy test you have to take before you do an Access To Teaching course. This is at the same level as GCSE (technically called Level 2) so you need to go back to what you learnt when you were 16. You might want to get a GCSE Maths tutor, or work through a GCSE study guide (e.g. CGP Workbook) - many other similar products are available at Smiths or Waterstones.

If the test is really causing a problem, you need to realise that the numeracy and literacy demands of teaching courses are high for a reason, and you really need to be confident in order to continue. Do you have C grades in GCSE for Maths, English (and Science, if you want to be a Primary teacher)? You might not use 'maths' every day asa teacher, but you will need to be confident working with pupil data, test scores, etc.

5. where are you working now? if you are a ta, can a teacher at the school help you with some coaching? (this is the commonest solution at our school)

6. NOT for Mathematics, I trust ! [​IMG]

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Hopefully not for older primary either. When I left primary I could do all my fraction arithmetic, areas (including circles), and similar stuff. As far as I can remember this was the norm, but now it often seems to be a case of the blind leading the blind. I remember reading a horrific story of primary kids being taught to add fractions by adding the numerators and the denominators.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Many of our year 7 students arrive with methods and knowledge that is plain wrong - and they have been taught this way because it's consistent across ability levels!

Sorry - off topic.