1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed!! Year 1 Poetry Using the Senses

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jenuk, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Hi,
    I'm new to Year 1 and I'm struggling to think of poems to use for this unit. Poetry is definitely not my strong point so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    I'm new to Year 1 and I'm struggling to think of poems to use for this unit. Poetry is definitely not my strong point so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks

3. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

There will be a whole on senses in my next update (coming in October) including powerpoints, posters, matching game AND songs, rhymes & poems :)
    http://www.ks1resources.co.uk/

4. I have an excellent book, Sensational ! - poems inspired by the five senses. ISBN- 0330413449.

5. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

"Brown Bear, Brown Bear" for the sense of sight. (by Eric Carle I think)

6. Hi - I did a poetry lesson on senses last year with a year 2 class. I based it on The Magic Box poem by Kit Wright. I brought in my own Magic Box filled with sensory thigs (feather, crunchy leaves, etc.)

From what I can remember I chose children to pick an item from the box, decide which sense was stimulated and think of a good adjective to include. We wrote a verse together as a class which looked something like this (we also briefly touched on alliteration):

Seeing shimmering stars on a clear dark night.

Hearing my cat purring loudly by the crackling fire.

Smelling freshly cut grass wafting through the summer air.

Tasting sweet sticky ice cream as it melts in the sun.

Kids then went onto write their own verses and we created a class poem by putting them together. Hope this is of some help .. I'm still just a student teacher so not sure if it'll be exactly what you're looking for. Good luck!

7. toty

toty New commenter

8. Two terrific books...

Noisy poems

Tasty poems

Both by Jill Bennett.

9. karen65dundee

karen65dundee New commenter

What a lovely idea - been trawling fot ages for a nice way to teach this. We've already been on a senses walk and written literal sentences about what we saw, smelt and so on - but was struggling to make this 'poetic' thanks

10. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

How about giving each table a piece of fruit. They pass it around the group, looking closely at it, touching it, and smelling it. Then cut the fruit in half (sensible child from group if it's a soft fruit, or adult if a sharp knife is required) and repeat.
    You would probably need to do some shared writing of a class poem first to model the process and to encourage your more able children to include detail and similies. Eg
    Teacher: "What does the grapefruit look like?"
    Children: "round" "yellow"
    Teacher: "Can anybody think of anything else that is round and yellow?"
    Child: "The sun"
    Teacher: "Ok, we're ready for the first line of our poem. I'm going to try to add some detail and a Wow word to make it more interesting: Round and yellow like the blazing hot sun."

Repeat with the other senses - not forgetting (food allergies permitting) to taste the fruit.

If you want to concentrate on just one sense, rather than trying to include a few senses in one poem, then I'd go for taste. There''s a great poem by Wes Magee called "The Witch's Brew", and I've yet to meet a year 1 child who hasn't enjoyed writing their own version - the more disgusting the better.