1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed with Year 6 boy's writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Vic123abc, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Vic123abc

Vic123abc New commenter

I hope someone will be able to help me with a boy I tutor. He's been coming to me now for a few months to help with his writing.

His handwriting is virtually illegible. I found that if I wrote a line then he was able to copy it directly underneath and it was pretty neat. However, any more than one line or if he writes independently, then he loses focus and his writing becomes very messy. Same when he copies from the board.

I'm not sure if it's just that he's not interested or if there's another issue.

He's a bright boy who openly tells me he hates writing! His eye tests have been fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks.

2. Vic123abc

Vic123abc New commenter

I hope someone will be able to help me with a boy I tutor. He's been coming to me now for a few months to help with his writing.

His handwriting is virtually illegible. I found that if I wrote a line then he was able to copy it directly underneath and it was pretty neat. However, any more than one line or if he writes independently, then he loses focus and his writing becomes very messy. Same when he copies from the board.

I'm not sure if it's just that he's not interested or if there's another issue.

He's a bright boy who openly tells me he hates writing! His eye tests have been fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Which gives the impression he doesn't think neat handwriting matters. Until he either realises that it does or is made to write neatly with consequences for not, he isn't going to.

If you tutor him. I assume it is 1:1, so each time he write a word messily rub it out and insist it is written neatly. Keep doing this for every messy word as he writes. If he really hates writing he'll get the idea that he actually writes less if he does it properly the first time.

I did this with 3 boys who arrived in my year 6 class apparently 'unable' to write neatly. They were perfectly able to do so, just no-one had ever got across to them that there wasn't actually a choice.

4. Vic123abc

Vic123abc New commenter

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it's 1:1. That makes sense... I'll definitely get him to rewrite every messy word. Thank you!

5. DFC

DFC New commenter

Is it the physical act of writing he has trouble with which makes him hate writing?
    Has he been assessed for dyslexia / dyspraxia / specific fine motor control difficulty?
    I had a child last year who achieved a L5 with a scribe but because of a fine motor control difficulty would rarely reach L3 independently because the actual task of writing was so difficult. He could tell me all the VCOP requirements, used excellent vocab etc. just couldn't write it down and therefore had built up a hate of writing and only gave the minimum he could get away with, when unsupported.
    I used Write from the start: The Teodorescu Perceptuo-Motor Programme to help him improve his fine motor control and scribed, used a dictaphone and allowed him to use ICT to encourage a greater love of composition.
    http://www.papakuraeducation.co.nz/index.php/teachers/write-from-the-start-the-teodorescu-perceptuo-motor-programme.html

6. Vic123abc

Vic123abc New commenter

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm sure he's been assessed for various things but will check again with his parents.

Using ICT's a good idea. I'll try that.

Thanks for the link as well; I'll take a look.

7. How 'automatic' is his letter formation? Do you think he is trying to focus on forming each letter too hard and that it is not 'automatic' enough when he has something he wants to express?

8. Vic123abc

Vic123abc New commenter

Hi Debbie, thanks for your reply. He doesn't try too hard at all. He just scribbles to get finished as quickly as possible! I did a bit of letter formation but he was so bored.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Is he actually forming the letters using the correct sequence of movements and starting in the right place or is he just copying the shape when he underwrites so it looks good?
    If he's in Y6 I would look at Speed Up rather than Write From the Start [​IMG]

10. Vic123abc

Vic123abc New commenter

He seems to be sequencing the movements correctly, but I think I need to watch closer to make sure.

Thanks a lot for mentioning Speed Up.

You've all given me lots of things to try, thanks.