1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help needed with teaching year 1 how to write a book review

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emma891234, May 2, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm a trainee teacher and in Literacy, were going to be doing some work on the Katie Morag stories. At the end of the unit, I'm going to teach the children how to write a book review for their favourite Katie Morag story.
    Does anybody have a book review template that I could look at or know where I can find a good template?
    Also, I'm not sure what to get them to include in the book review. Not sure if I'm pitching it too high. Childre's levels range from 1c to 2c.
    I was thinking of starting off by getting them to discuss in pairs what they think a book reiew is. Does anyone know if I could find some Katie Morag book reviews on the internet done by children? If I manage to find one then I will show this to them.
    I'll model to them how to write a book review. I'll ask them to think about why they liked it. To use adjectives and more powerful words than "good". What is the problem in the story? What was the best part of the story? Why do you like this book? Would you recommend this book to a friend?