1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed with planning in a special school

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by jogr8, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Hello there,
    In the past our medium term planning has always been quite thorough but we have never really done individual lesson plans or daily plans. We have now been told that we have to do medium term plans, weekly plans as well as individual lesson plans for group activities.
    Our classes have very mixed abilities for example in my class the children are working between P4 and NC 2, because of this much of our work is 1:1 and we mainly focus on termly IEP targets and independence skills so group activities are often quite difiicult to plan and carry out.
    Following the rose report we now plan using the 6 areas of learning:
    • Understanding English, communication and languages
    • Mathematical understanding
    • Scientific and technological understanding
    • Historical, geographical and social understanding
    • Understanding physical development, health and wellbeing
    • Understanding the arts
    We just seem to be bogged down with paper work, our PPA time just isn't enough to do all this planning as well as assessments, report writing and making resources (due to the contracts that our support staff have they have very little time to help us with making resources etc)
    We are trying to come up with some sort of more detailed weekly planning that incorporates learning outcomes, differntiation so we don't have to do detailed plans for individual lessons or group activities.
    It would be great to hear your thoughts and hear how other people plan and perhaps see some examples of plannning proformas.
    Thanks for your help
    Jo

2. Hi Jo, I can email you some samples of the planning used in our school, although we use the national curriculum subject areas for KS1-4 and the EYFS areas of learning for F2. PM me your email address if you want them.

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

What age group? I may be able to help with secondary English / Literacy. PM me. Also see some ideas I've put in the resources bank. Most of my classes have the same rage of ability as yours, some range from P2 through to NC level 3. We have similar time constraints and support staff contracts. It's hard. Very little is available to buy for such a huge ability range.

4. Same as the other post, I can share my planning pro-formas, they include:

lit weekly plan
    maths weekly plan
    science and foundation subjects weekly plan
    daily plans and
    lesson plans (I only use these when being observed but my assistant head made a very positive comment about the design, layout etc)

If you would like any of these I can add them to my resource list, just let me know.

Good luck

5. Hi I am planning a story for year 1 special school children- what format would you use please