1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed with PGCE small scale reserach project - questionnaire about Multicultural Mathematics

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Bikito, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Dear all,
    For my PGCE Maths I need to carry out a small scale research project. For my topic I have chosen to study the way maths teachers implement multicultural teaching practices into their mathematics lessons and their thoughts and attitudes towards multicultural mathematics. As part of my methodology, I am conducting a short online questionnaire for which I am looking for respondents.
    I would therefore very much appreciate it if any maths teachers and student teachers out there could please answer this questionnaire via the following link:
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GFHF6KG
    It should not take more than maximum ten minutes of your time!
    Many thanks in advance!!!!
    Biko

2. Dear all,
    For my PGCE Maths I need to carry out a small scale research project. For my topic I have chosen to study the way maths teachers implement multicultural teaching practices into their mathematics lessons and their thoughts and attitudes towards multicultural mathematics. As part of my methodology, I am conducting a short online questionnaire for which I am looking for respondents.
    I would therefore very much appreciate it if any maths teachers and student teachers out there could please answer this questionnaire via the following link:
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GFHF6KG
    It should not take more than maximum ten minutes of your time!
    Many thanks in advance!!!!
    Biko

3. Your survey does seem somewhat biased. Having looked up the work of some of the mathematicians from non-european backgrounds I discovered either:
    1) I had incorporated their work into my lessons but without reference, or

2) The level of maths was too high to be relevant in a school setting.

The interesting thing is that I always credit mathematicians such as
    al-Khwarizmi for their work with algebra, but only when the kids are
    already at a sufficient level to be interested. This is exactly the same approach I take with Euclid and his work on geometry.
    I suspect the majority of teachers never mention either and some will never even have heard of them. However, all maths teachers incorporate their work, they wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't. Therefore the implicit assumption in the question about whether you incorporating a mathematicians work or have never heard of them is false.
    I got the impression that the questions were trying to lead the results towards your own hypothesis.

4. I've completed the survey, but I agree with the comments above about it being somewhat biased. I can see how the results could be hugely misinterpretted (I incorporate coffee into most of my working days, whilst my wife incorporates tea ... does that mean that I faour South American cultures over Asian?).

5. Hi, many thanks for responding to the questionnaire and for your feedback. This is the first time I have put a questionnaire of this type together so any feedback is definitely very much appreciated and apologies if the questionnaire seems biased in any way as it wasn't intended to. In hindsight I agree that the question you mentioned could look biased (and possibly some of the others), however this was not meant to be this way (rather a lack of experience in drafting questionnaires) and I will make sure that the conclusions I draw from the results of this questionnaire are not biased in any way. I also agree that some of the mathematician's work may be too advanced to include in most maths lessons and some of these are definitely not very well known compared to others - had never heard most of them myself until I started researching this topic. The question isn't meant to draw black and white conclusions, but rather to get an idea of people's knowledge about mathematicians of different backgrounds (and I would consider it perfectly normal for most people not to know of some of the ones mentioned or to incorporate in their teaching). Anyhow thanks again for the feedback and I will most definitely take it into account.
    Many thanks also for everyone else who has completed this questionnaire so far, very much appreciated! If a few more people could respond that would be great!!!
    Many thanks again,
    Biko

6. Just a few more responses needed to hit my target [​IMG]
    If anyone else has time to complete my questionnaire this weekend that would be much appreciated!!!
    Many thanks!
    Biko

7. Just a few more needed!
    Thanks everyone! :)

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i did feel a bit brow beaten. perhaps the fact the m,aths is the international language should have been acknowledge a little more.
    For instance, i always point out to classes that without arabs, indians etc we in the west would have had little maths (or many other areas of knowledge) following the dark ages. also when discussing Newton etc, i always bring in the fact that he and virtually all other mathematicians regularly wxchanged ideas and letters with foreign mathematicians.

9. Whatever next......

10. Dear all,
    Many thanks for completing the questionnaire and for your feedback, much appreciated!
    This survey will now be closed as I will start analyzing the results.
    Cheers,
    Biko