1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed with IFL

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by BuryFCA1, Sep 3, 2012.

1. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

I am currently completing my IFL file ready for submission. Can anyone give me any guidance on how long it should be and how much detail I need to put into it? Also, advice on what or what not to include?
    I dont want to put hours into a short paper chasing exercise but at the same time I dont want to submit it with the bare minimum in it.
    Thanks in advance
    Lucy

2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

By "IFL file", I presume you mean your Continual Professional Development log. This was an issue that worried me greatly when I was teaching FE. Initially I thought we had to write up in detail what we had learnt from our CPD and this was a daunting task considering the time it was going to take me. When I was told I needed to use Reflect, the silly writing program that IFL had produced, I spent some considerable time trying to figure out how to up load documents to it with details of my CPD, but to no avail. A complete waste of time!
    I consider that CPD is very important, but to whom? To me of course. As teachers we are constantly having to deal with changes and what we have to teach, particularly in the field of vocational education, so the undertaking of CPD should be very straight forward. I took CPD to mean anything that was new to me. Going on courses and inset of course, but also researching and writing new parts of my teaching, looking up answers to students questions that had flummoxed me, and absolutely any thing that took my fancy and off I went to Google or wiki it. I even claimed the frustrating hours that I had to spend trying to understand how Reflect worked and what the IFL was supposed to be doing.
    In the end I simply kept a list of what I had done and hours spent on it in a folder with dates and perhaps some sort of reference to where the CPD might be found. I certainly did not have the time to do any more than that.
    I'm afraid I am two years out of date with FE now, so there might be a more correct answer if the rather superfluous (to the actual job) IFL may have managed to worm their way back into a bit more power, or that ***, Groveling Gove, has stuck his dicknose into the sector again. In the end they have shown themselves to be an irrelevance to how we actually do our jobs in front of our classes anyway.
    So my advice is that if you have the time and desire to do so, record your CPD in a detailed form in one place. It may help you write a text book in years to come. However, if you are thinking about simply being able to survive your job, then put down the bare minimum. It is only dick bean counters who are going to look at it in the end.
    All the best and don't let the *** grind you down!

3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

should read "diickhead, Groveling Gove.
    Come to think of it, in my vocabularly "Gove" should have been substituted to ***.
    should read don't let the boggers ( or something similar) grind you down!
    Rock on!

4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Just to clarify this, I simply made a list of the titles only, of what I did, with dates. I then used the IFL declaration webpage where you only have to say that you have done more than 30 hours (or whatever). The IFL says it may ask you for evidence of what you have done, but I take this "evidence" simply to be the list of the things I have done. In any case, I have not met anybody who has been asked for this, any way.

5. Hi
    I think that you're referring to your IfL portfolio and are going for QTLS right?
    Unfortunately, I can't tell you what you should and should not include and nor can IfL because the things that you could talk about and documents that you could upload as evidence is so broad that basically anything goes! It's one of the things that greatly annoyed me when I did my portfolio. What I can say is that my documents ended up being 22 pages long (a colleague of mine wrote 23 pages) and I included stuff such as a personal statement of how I got into teaching from applying to the course, a list of courses that I can teach on as a result of my qualifications and experience, a description of long-term professional goals (to become an advanced practitioner), and a section on the strengths and weaknesses in my teaching and goals for the next year. I also got my line manager to write a nice statement of support for me. The result was that I got my QTLS and very nice feedback from the powers that be at IfL (impressive was one word used). My advice is that if you know someone as I did who has already got it, ask them if you can have a look at what they've written, so that you can get started (no long cut and pasting though, as your experiences etc are very different).
    If what I've said is what you wanted to know about and you'd like me to have a look at what you've done and offer more specific advice, PM me on here. If not and you meant your CPD declaration TSC has already given you fantastic advice and I totally agree with it!
    HTH and good luck!

6. The IfL was good when it had authority but will be irrelevant soon. I wouldn't bother with any of it anymore. I know many people agree with me.

7. bobbyboy, you would do better not to give advice where you don't know what you are talking about
    BuryFCA1, you SHOULD join the IfL (London) and you WILL find that it helps you all along your career. The IfL may be undergoing changes, but it WILL be back stronger than ever and EVERYONE who stopped heeding it will be SORRY.