1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed with AQA Eng Lit Paper 1

Discussion in 'English' started by elijahboo1, Apr 13, 2020.

1. elijahboo1

elijahboo1 New commenter

I'm probably being a bit thick but trying to mark a Christmas Carol mock and the student has written a pretty decent answer but he's focused mainly on the novella as a whole rather than on the extract. How much do I mark him down? it doesn't say anything about that on the mark scheme. Well, under AO1 I suppose if he's not referred enough to the extract then that would mean he's not responding to the task, so he'd be in perhaps Level 2 for AO1 but higher Levels for the other AO's. Does that sound right? So basically his grade's going to be pulled down by his AO1.

I wonder if that makes sense to anyone. I think I'm losing the plot!

2. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

If he has referred to the extract, even if only briefly, that's fine and should not be penalised.
    If he has not referred to the extract at all, it's a rubric infringement and AO1 is capped a L2.

Daredevil111 and steely1 like this.
  3. elijahboo1

elijahboo1 New commenter

No, he has done but his approach is a bit topsy-turvy. He's written about the whole novella and then the extract in one paragraph towards the end.

4. gruoch

That's fine.

5. gruoch

"Starting with" doesn't mean that the extract has be be tackled first.

steely1 likes this.
  6. elijahboo1

elijahboo1 New commenter

Ok, thanks.

7. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

Exactly. Given chronological order is often a good structure for tackling an essay (at GCSE), an extract from later in the text often works better when referred to later in an essay.