1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed with a guided reading interview observation.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emma891234, Apr 21, 2011.

1. I have my first ever interview coming up and desperately need some advice.

I have to deliver a 15 minutes guided reading session to children who are on level 2c/2b. I will be informed on the day about the book which I will be using with the children. I will be given 15 minutes to prepare on the day.
    Could anybody give me some advice on how to approach this please?

2. Personally I would go in and be prepared to do some guided reading!

3. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Very helpful [​IMG]

4. I have a useful crib-sheet of appropriate questions to meek the criteria of each AF in Reading - I can email it to you if you like. I think I would take it with me & put relevant questions on post-its in the text they give you during the 15 min preparation time. You could prepare a few questions about the features of fiction/non-fiction before you go.
    Good luck.

5. Spend a few minutes talking to the children about the book, eg, What is the title? Is it a fiction or non-fiction? what might it be about? Who might be the characters be etc etc.
    Then I would give them a couple of minutes to read a few pages to themselves (they will do this out loud of course) to build up their confidence before (officially)reading aloud to you. You could ask the children how they usually read, some teachers let the children just read to tehmseles and then ask them questions but at this level the children are not yet independent so I would do supported reading aloud.
    Model a page or 2 at the beginning taking notice of punctuation or using different voices etc and then explain to the childdren that you would like them to hae a go at doing this too.
    Finally, spend a few minutes at the end discussing the story and text, Was it funny? Why? Could you guess what was going to happen? why? etc etc
    Another couple of things to remember, praise, praise, praise and look like you are enjoying it and model how to read a difficult word using the best stragegy, ie, phonics, context, picture clue etc.
    Good luck

6. comenius

comenius New commenter

Start by looking at the front cover - discuss author, illustrator, publisher, read the title and predict the story (fiction) or what information might be in the book (non-fiction). Read the blurb for extra clues! - Spend no more than 5 mins on this.
    15 minutes isn't very long, so if the book is a long one maybe ask the children to read to a certain page and then stop - you could have a task ready for tthose who finish reading quickly linked to the book e.g. profile of main character, predict how story ends..... If its a short book then read to the end and have a task ready for the quick readers. If its non-fiction then you could discuss briefly using contents, index etc
    The children should be able to read independently and quietly on their own - set them off reading while you listen to each in turn. <u>Don't </u>read round in a circle each one taking a turn! They should all be reading at the same time. You could remind them about using phonics to help them if they get stuck on a word.
    A couple of minutes before the end, stop and come back together to discuss the book, include Q that get the children thinking and use inference.
    http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/literacy/index.php?category_id=78#?s=4db06cded3de1ef21f5dec8c27a49a63
    There might be some useful resources on the above website.

7. Some really good points there. I wouldn't ask the children what they normally do tho' - that could open up a whole can of worms. Experience on supply taught me never to ask that question.
    I would know /take with me the relevent level descriptors so you can be explicit in what you want the children to do so LO and SC just as for any other lesson.
    Guided reading should be about taking from the text not just decoding.
    Good Luck

8. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Hi Just to let you know I found your message and will be in touch tomorrow. Try not to worry, you will be amazed at how fast 15 mins goes!!

9. Many thanks for all your help everybody. I feel a bit more confident now about this observation.
    I am thinking of spending 5 minutes on the intruduction, introducing asessment focus and going through strategies. Another 5 minutes for the independent reading. The final 5 minutes to discuss the strategies they used and to briefly discuss the book/make predictions. Would this be ok?

Should I tell them how many pages to read?

10. No, they will read at their own pace. Be prepared for some/most of them to finish the book (at 2c it will probably be a colour banded book and quite short). Have a little task ready that they can do for a minute or two until the others finish/you stop them all. It could be something like "read through the first 3 pages again, are there any words with the igh phoneme?" or "Find the words that are used instead of 'said' " - you'll be able to come up with something once you have seen the text. (Personally I would give quite a closed activity at this point rather than a very open one - save open ended questions for when you are discussing the book with all of them.)
    Breaking the 15 minutes up into 3 chunks sounds great, good luck.

11. I have put together a guided reading plan. I will add to it on the day when I'm given the text. Would anybody be willing to check it for me and let me know what you think?