1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed! Unusual shaped cake

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by ceehorse, May 7, 2012.

1. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

Apologies if this has been covered before - I have not posted here before! I have to bake a large cake for a party but I have no idea how to calculate the ingredients! Is there a fool proof method?
    I hope someone knows...

2. ceehorse, lapinrose will have all the answers!
    She's a cake genius. :)

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

For a standard victoria sponge mix you can weigh the eggs (shells on) and then use an equal weight of self-raising flour and sugar.
    Not sure how you decide how many eggs to use. I usually use 3 to make what I would call a standard full-sized cake.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes there is a method, I can usually judge what mix I need to make by looking at the tin. Is it to be a sponge or a rich fruit cake? What is the size and shape of the tine?

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

OK, this is from a very old copy of Good Housekeeping, but for each pint of water the tin will hold, fill it as deep as you want the finished cake, you'll need a 2oz, 1 egg Victoria sandwich mix or a fruit cake mix using 3 oz of butter and 3 of sugar etc.
    To update that would mean for each 500ml of water you'll need a 50g/1 egg mix or a 75g/1 1/2 egg fruit cake mix.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

How large a cake and what kind? Ifit's a sponge you could bake several square cakes, piece them together and cover the joins with icing. That way, you can bake in batches and ot have to worry about doubling quantities, etc.

7. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Couldn't you make a lot of little cakes and arrange them in a pretty pattern?

8. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

Wow what a wonderful response! Thank you all of you. It is a large heart shaped tin for a wedding party on the night before the wedding. I shall make a chocolate fudge cake and a lemon drizzle and let the bride decide! It measures 12inches height by 13 inches across and the tin is 5 inches deep. I think I will try lapinrose's idea - so, many thanks!
    C

9. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Sounds yummy

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

ceehorse, you will have to post a photo of the finished cake, dying to see it!