1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed to unpick statement.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by jules2001, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I need some help in unpicking the following statement so that I can explain it to staff in a way that they will understand and relate to their own practice/class.

mathematics planning to connect skills focused practice with application to calculation and problem solving.

thanks

2. I need some help in unpicking the following statement so that I can explain it to staff in a way that they will understand and relate to their own practice/class.

mathematics planning to connect skills focused practice with application to calculation and problem solving.

thanks

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I see from your post elsewhere that this is with reference to Key Stage 1. (Most people here are secondary, so it's worth saying that before you get responses that assume you are too!)

4. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Good luck with working this out. It sounds rather like a two-year-old has been playing with magnetic words on a fridge!

5. maths126

maths126 New commenter

Sounds like the idea is to bridge the gap between the 'pure' skills (skills-focused practice) and the 'applied' skills (application to calculation and problem solving)

For example, having done some work on adding whole numbers, can I solve a problem which involves choosing the greatest number of different items in a list without going over a price/weight limit?

Another example, with practice on working out time intervals between two clock times, can I solve a problem which involves putting TV films in order of duration?

One more example (needing more planning), with lots of practice on the four operations, can I choose which information and calculations I will need in order to make sure that the school disco tickets sold will cover all the costs involved and still make a profit?

6. Gareth-Brown

Gareth-Brown New commenter

How about 'planning mathematics lessons with a specific skill focus, where the students need to understand the concept and use it to solve problems. They need to understand not only how to do the calculations but how and where to apply it to problems.'

I think it says that students need to be able to do the calculations of division for example and also understand where they would have to use this in real life. If they had to make party bags for a party and there were 5 kids coming to the party, then how would they divide the lollies into the bags. In real life no one would say you have to divide, they would just have to work it out themselves. In fact some children might even do this without realising that they're dividing.