1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP NEEDED: Teaching/resources for OCR Gateway P6

Discussion in 'Science' started by PinkHelen, Jun 20, 2011.

1. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Hi, next year i'll be teaching OCR Gateway physics, having previously only taught AQA. I've not got a problem with the content, but the equipment is proving to be a nightmare! We bought the resources packs for the units, so we have the student activity sheets and accompanying teacher/technician sheets. However, we don't have any of the necessary electronic equipment for P6 - all we have are some wires, bulbs, power packs, ammeters and voltmeters. I've been spending a while looking through equipment catalogues and there seem to be hundreds of types of thermistors, LDRs and diodes, but all that the specification says is "thermistor" - not very helpful! I'm the only physicist in the department and there's no-one else to ask about this at my school - I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction for the types of components that I'll need if you've already taught this unit?

2. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Hi, next year i'll be teaching OCR Gateway physics, having previously only taught AQA. I've not got a problem with the content, but the equipment is proving to be a nightmare! We bought the resources packs for the units, so we have the student activity sheets and accompanying teacher/technician sheets. However, we don't have any of the necessary electronic equipment for P6 - all we have are some wires, bulbs, power packs, ammeters and voltmeters. I've been spending a while looking through equipment catalogues and there seem to be hundreds of types of thermistors, LDRs and diodes, but all that the specification says is "thermistor" - not very helpful! I'm the only physicist in the department and there's no-one else to ask about this at my school - I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction for the types of components that I'll need if you've already taught this unit?

3. http://www.philipharris.co.uk/unilab/electronics/?sort=Price (Ascending)&searchset=0&searchpage=0
    This is what we use at our school - over 20 years old but seem to work reasonably well. We also have the decisions module for logic gates. They need to know how resistance changes with temperature in thermistor and light intensity for LDR. The course also has half wave and full wave rectification - so they need to understand about diodes and a little bit about capacitors. Then they have to do logic gates including the bistable latch!
    Hope this helps.