1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed Science and Religion

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Faldamir12, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have just started teaching the Edexcel investigations unit 'Science and Religion' and I am currently looking for any pictures/videos I can use as a stimul.

Has anyone taught this before or can help with the above?

Thanks

2. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have just started teaching the Edexcel investigations unit 'Science and Religion' and I am currently looking for any pictures/videos I can use as a stimul.

Has anyone taught this before or can help with the above?

Thanks

3. delahay

delahay New commenter

We teach this and the results are excellent. We start in January and the students spend the whole of the spring term (3 and 4) doing this. We devote this amount of time as this module is worth 50% of the final AS grade. Try looking on the internet for Connor Cunningham 's programme 'Did Darwin kill God'. Someone will be able to make a copy of this for you. We don't just let the students independently research this, we spend about 5 weeks teaching them the topic and then they are on their own. I find if you break it down into three models of interaction Conflict; Convergence and Distinct then this provides a structure for the essay and enables them to argue towards a particular viewpoint. Go on the Faraday Institute website as this has lots of lectures by scholars such as Ken Miller, Dennis Alexander, Michael Ruse. It is a brilliant resource. Also Youtube is fantastic for clips of Dawkins and Grayling. Over the Easter students will revise and do a mock on their return. By the way there is an excellent article in this month's Dialogue magazine on the relationship between religion and science. If you don't subscribe as a school (I recommend you do) then you can order online. Also there was an article in the latest RS Review. Our librarian is brilliant and has sourced us a book box which is brought to the lesson when the students are working on the research. p.s. Can I ask how you do paragraphs on this. I just don't know how to do it!

4. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi D.

Thank you for your reply. We have taught it in the past and our results are excellent. However this is the first time I will be teaching it and we will only be spending approximately 15 lessons on this unit as we have always done it this way.

You might also want to look at the BBC four series on 'The end of God' which I showed my group today...very insightful and useful for this unit.

Thank you for your help and advice....now to plan it! =)

5. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

As for paragraphs, all I do is hit 'enter'[​IMG] in the message box