1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed, Regents

Discussion in 'English' started by regentsreject, May 13, 2011.

1. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

I take it this is referring to Literature. Unit 3a requires the study of two linked texts, one of which must be Shakespeare and the other literary heritage of any genre. Other cultures prose is needed for Unit 1 external exam and cannot be used for Unit 3a. I'm away from home and don't have the CA tasks with me. If you intend to study how Blake creates contrast in tone in some of his poems you must link it to how Shakespeare creates contrast in tone in one of his plays. Iit sounds difficult to me but would be permitted if it fits with one of the CA task titles. As far as number of poems is concerned, it's that old grey area again! The requirement from QCDA is study of 15 poems but students only need to write about 2 or 3 of those. Absolutely fine to change range of poems and scope of questions for different ability groups, in fact it is to be recommended.
    Come back if this still isn't clear.[​IMG]

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Do you? Sounds like English to me. I don't know much about the English CAc but you can't 'decide to go for' Different Cultures prose in Lit, can you? It's a compulsory unit, surely.

3. Hi both,
    Thank you for such swift replies.
    It is unit 3a English we're doing.
    B

4. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Silly me! Reading it again without the benefit of insomnia (look at the time of my last post!), of course it is English. Same problem - can't remember the CA tasks for English off the top of my head and working away from home at the moment. However, the principle of using Blake's poetry is fine and the requirement to study 15 still applies, but students only need to write about 2/3. You have complete freedom of whether to do the same task for all three texts or use the other task and it would be fine to tweak the individual title. Remember that each piece is only about 1 hour of writing.

5. Ah! Freedom to not having to do the same task for all three tasks is welcome news - I take it that means we could do 'Character and Voice' for one text and 'Themes and Ideas' for the other two (or vice versa)? Just to be clear!
    I sometimes wonder if we're over-thinking things a bit but it's not straight forward.
    Help is always very welcome.