1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help needed please - letters and sounds / Reception key words

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kaz_allan, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Hi can anyone tell me if the high frequency words in letters and sounds are the same as the literacy strategy key words for reception?
    Would you teach both or would you just teach the letters and sounds high-frequency words?
    we are just taking this up in a big way and we are a little confused - we used to send home the reception key words so just wondering if we still need to if we do the letters and sounds high frequency words.- it seems a lot to do both!
    thank you all

2. Hi can anyone tell me if the high frequency words in letters and sounds are the same as the literacy strategy key words for reception?
    Would you teach both or would you just teach the letters and sounds high-frequency words?
    we are just taking this up in a big way and we are a little confused - we used to send home the reception key words so just wondering if we still need to if we do the letters and sounds high frequency words.- it seems a lot to do both!
    thank you all

3. Letters and Sounds outlines the tricky words as you progress -that should be sufficient I would say xx

4. Letters and sounds has an appendix that outlines both tricky words and decodable high frequency words, based on the first one hundred words.
    Children need opportunities to decode and blend these words and work towards a level of reading fluency with them, more or less as we used to do with the Reception 45 high frequency words. They also need to learn the tricky words as these are not decodable using the phonics they are learning.

5. thank you, but does that mean then we have to teach both letters and sounds high frequency and tricky words as well as the key words from the strategy?
    thanks

6. I teach letters and sounds, following the Letters and Sounds programme. This then includes when and how to teach tricky words, as well as where decodable high frequency words should be taught.
    Key words from the strategy are, if memory serves me right, in one of these sets of words anyway (with possibly one or two exceptions).

7. I wouldn't worry about the HFWs from the old NLS at all. Just teach the 'tricky words' as per the L & S guidance. In the days of the NLS practitioners who taught good, structured phonics, without devoting any particular attention to the NLS HFWs, usually found that the children could read most of them as a result of their normal phonics teaching. Because most of them are very straighforward to decode.
    If you are using good decodable texts to accompany your L & S teaching most of the old HFWs will be introduced in text at the appropriate stage of the children's developing phonic knowledge.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Letters & Sounds HFW replaced the 45 reception words in the Literacy strategy most are fully decodable right from the start.

9. Brilliant thanks Msz - then we can get rid of those and just use letters and sounds - love it!!