1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP NEEDED PLEASE. GCSE English

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by ukred, Sep 27, 2019.

1. ukred

ukred New commenter

Hi, I am a retired teacher who, after 5 years, has been dragged back to tutor my granddaughter :-D She is taking her GCSE English (my subject) next summer.

PLEASE any advice would be welcome as I find myself in a strange situation that I don't even know is normal....so much has changed!

The school have just decided to Change to AQA Language and stay with Edusec Literature.....a few weeks ago. I'd bought the stuff but I'm sure I can adapt. Is it normal to switch halfway like this? More importantly, without too much detail and definitely not as a means of criticism, I need to ask if it is normal to tell the students to write a set piece for the creative writing section of the exam and memorise it to adapt whatever the question? If I found that strange, I wasn't prepared for the teacher telling my granddaughter her 'set piece' we had worked on wasn't realistic, she's now saying she will write a story and my granddaughter could copy and learn it?!

Is it me? Can things have changed this much? My granddaughter is really upset and I just want to help not interfere but I really don't believe in such prescriptive work and yes, I do know you have to teach to the exam. In the past I was the first English teacher to get EBD students with bad issues the very first GCSE English passes in a school I worked at. We worked very hard so that they actually had the skills to write their own stories!

Advice please? How do I handle this?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You might get more responses if you post in the English forum.
    @TES_Rosaline - any chance of doing this?

It's not normal but I have heard of this happening.

I'm not an English teacher, but this seems a very dodgy approach. They only need a different starting point for the creative writing and you have a class load of kids unsure what to do.
    I would also expect that if a school submits a load of "free responses" that are the same, the exam board might ask uncomfortable questions.

3. ukred

ukred New commenter

Thanks, will put in English section.