1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed please - databases.

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by impis, Mar 22, 2011.

1. impis

impis New commenter

You betcha!!! Thank you so much for replying.
    LOL! The kids aren't the only ones that are MLD!! I have no idea what a relational database is. I can set up a simple DB. I can sort it. I can query it. I can filter it. I can format the fields to show the right kind of data [eg currancy, number, text etc] - But that 's it. I don't know how to do anything else. I've had no training on databases myself, and there's no one in school to show me.
    Please bear in mind that it is just a one hour lesson. I'm not sure if the kids actually have any recipes yet [though i would hope so!] - and that it takes them a very long time to type in the records.

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

uploading it now but it takes a little while for it to be approved...
    https://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceUpload.aspx?storycode=6074066
    Only the table build video up at the moment, am rendering out the forms one now. Anyway hope it is of use and not too complex, even if it is fingers crossed it makes sense to you and you might want to have a go at this sort of thing later on..

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Oh watch it to the end of the forms video as it sort of comes together then but might have gone a bit overkill on the subform design and should have left it alone.

4. impis

impis New commenter

Thanks - I will take a look at it later. Not sure I can cope with databases first thing in the morning. LOL!

5. impis

impis New commenter

The link isn't working yet I'll try again later.

6. impis

impis New commenter

OMG DP = my students would never get that - at least, not by Monday. LOL. It will take me a while and a bit of practise to have a go with that. I've always wondered what relational databases were - but not ever having any formal IT training, I didn't have much of a clue.
    Thank you so much for making the videos - they will be useful to me, even if not for this particular purpose - as my school is keen to begin offering GCSE + ICT to our students. Luckily, we don't have any high fliers in this subect at the moment, but there might be a time when we do. Even if I don't teach the relational stuff, its is useful to show them what can be done, if you have the time and proper training to develop your skills.
    Thanks again.

7. Hi,
    Just wondered if you had the Ofsted visit yet.

This exercise is adaptable. What you could do (if not done or in the future) is you could give the whole lesson to the higher abled, then taylor it towards the lower end.
    I used this for the whole of my year group and adapted it for the different levels so even the lower less abled, were able to do the work.
    You could have the database pre-prepared so that all they have to do is enter the data and then use that to produce the query. I suppose, if you had time before the observation, you could set it as homework the week before, letting them get the information from someone else. Alternatively, you could do the typing in of the information, then add a field at the start with numbering and then allocate numbers to put the records in different orders, and print off - that way, all the students would need to do is add their favourite areas - as it is the lower end, you may prefer to just use a few headings, rather than all of them.
    For the group, you can add their names, surnames, class, group, form, form tutor etc yourself as you know them - the rest they can write in themselves as per the lesson plan given already. That will then allow you to show how you differentiated i.e. the high able students have to handwrite and provide all the information, the lower band has assistance.
    If you have not had the observation yet, good luck. If you have had it, hope that it went well for you. xx