1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help Needed - NQT Kindergarten Teacher in China

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ickleangellady1, Oct 14, 2018.

1. ickleangellady1

ickleangellady1 New commenter

Hi

My son has his first ever teaching job and it is as a Kindergarten teacher in China. Each class has 30 kids. He has 7 classes a day and so sees around 1000 kids in the week, aged 3 to 6 years old. He hasn't been given a scheme of learning and has almost non-existent access to resource. I have no experience at this level and so I'm not much help. After his first week, hes getting desperate. Has anyone got similar experience? Can anyone help please in terms of planning and realistic strategies to teach.Thanks

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What subject does he teach them?

It's odd (in England) to have 7 classes a day in kindergarten. Generally one teacher has the same class all day.

3. ickleangellady1

ickleangellady1 New commenter

He's teaching them English in a Chinese school.

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If your son is teaching English to Chinese kids in a kindergarten in China then he's not an NQT.

If there are no schemes of work, and he's meant to be teaching EFL, then he needs to take this up with the school, and they need to tell him what they want him to do. Chinese schools are very different to UK ones, and they teach in different ways. Generally Chinese kindergarten teachers play games with flashcards to teach English.

5. jofox27

jofox27 New commenter

Currently teaching English in China myself, if you want to message me, I can send him some info/help if he has any questions.