1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help needed - KS2 APS in RAISE online

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by pbw, Sep 22, 2011.

1. pbw

pbw

I have a specific question that i need help with?

Every year in RAISE the KS2 APS and KS2 profile graphs for the cohort are calculated/produced.
    does this change each year? ie should the KS2 APS for Year 7 be the same for the Year 8s in the following year's RAISE report? as if the figure is date stamped on entry to Year 7 and never changes even though the cohort may have changed by several pupils.
    OR does the KS2 profile only reflect the current pupils on roll and therefore could change if significant numbers of high or low attainers either come or leave?

if it is the latter - would it be reasonable to assume that the deviation from the 'original' Year 7 KS2 APS would be greater the older the year group?
    also, if the APS was significantly increasing or decreasing for the same cohort as they progressed throughout the school - what would be a reasonable way of selling the school's performance in the best light to OFSTED?

i hope that i have asked my question in an understandable way!!!
    many thanks
    paul

2. pbw

pbw

I have a specific question that i need help with?

Every year in RAISE the KS2 APS and KS2 profile graphs for the cohort are calculated/produced.
    does this change each year? ie should the KS2 APS for Year 7 be the same for the Year 8s in the following year's RAISE report? as if the figure is date stamped on entry to Year 7 and never changes even though the cohort may have changed by several pupils.
    OR does the KS2 profile only reflect the current pupils on roll and therefore could change if significant numbers of high or low attainers either come or leave?

if it is the latter - would it be reasonable to assume that the deviation from the 'original' Year 7 KS2 APS would be greater the older the year group?
    also, if the APS was significantly increasing or decreasing for the same cohort as they progressed throughout the school - what would be a reasonable way of selling the school's performance in the best light to OFSTED?

i hope that i have asked my question in an understandable way!!!
    many thanks
    paul

3. Judging by the null response to your question, I'd say it was a good one!
    As it's possible to drill down to pupil level data on RO, one would assume that it's updated with pupil changes, but that assumes there's some link with the information management system of the school, and national data.
    I don't know what the mechanism is for updating RaiseOnline in relation to pupil movement.
    If I'm on the wrong trail or talking twaddle, I'm sure someone will let me know.
    Anyway, on the case to find out the answer...will watch this post carefully. ;-)

4. T34

T34 Established commenter

I don't know for certain, but I don't think the statisticians would be silly enough to not be using the current data - but who knows? To find out, why don't you compare a previous RO with the current one?
    It's easy enough for RO to use the current data. Each pupil has a UPN - data is transferred between schools by CTF which contains a pupil's KS1 and KS2 grades - the DFE, FFT etc know which UPN is in which school - it takes a few microseconds for a computer to calculate the RO data for a school based on the current information.
    Does RO have an "entry KS2 APP" (KS2 APP of the make-up of the original cohort) score as a special item? It would be a shame not to have this data available, if only so you could see what was happening as regards attainment of new entrants cf leavers.

5. pbw

pbw

this is my issue- i have looked back over the last 3 years' Raise onlines and only 1 cohort has changed in KS2 APS which i cannot understand.
    i am new to the school this year and having difficulty tracking back through to explain this difference!
    thanks

6. pbw

pbw

thanks
    my instinct is that RAISE will update based on updated census information annually but i cannot find a definite answer
    the issue i have is that over the last 3 years i have 1 year group that has changed its KS2 APS in RAISE only - the others have stayed the same. i am trying to see if this is a clerical error or not?
    paul