1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed in unpicking a statement regarding Maths (KS1)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jules2001, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I need some help in unpicking the following statement so that I can explain it to staff in a way that they will understand and relate to their own practice/class.

mathematics planning to connect skills focused practice with application to calculation and problem solving.

thanks

2. I need some help in unpicking the following statement so that I can explain it to staff in a way that they will understand and relate to their own practice/class.

mathematics planning to connect skills focused practice with application to calculation and problem solving.

thanks

3. QFE

QFE New commenter

Using and applying??? Why use three words when fourteen will do...

4. Not me but the LEA. Our teaching 'apparently' is too skills based and not in context. This is the statement they came up with!

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Give me strength. It's not even a proper sentence. Do these people really get paid to produce this drivel? I wish I could withold the part of my taxes that pays for *** to be employed to make other people's lives more difficult than they need to be. Roll on the recession if it means we can get rid of a few.
    I do a bit of childminding and the LA used to employ lots of nice midddle class ladies to look after/bother the childminders in their area. Said ladies used to sent out emails practically begging us to come to the trainings etc they'd organised, as no one ever signed up for them. It was only when the recession came along that the LA got rid of the lot of them and, remarkably, we've all managed to carry on childminding as before, the only effect being that I have fewer emails to delete. It's something that really annoys me, the way incompetent people are given jobs that don't need doing and then do them really badly.

6. To be honest it is not all the sentence. This is the complete one.
    Improve mathematics planning to connect skills focused practice with application to calculation and problem solving and opportunities to open up task so that children can show what they can do.

I just cut the bit I wanted explaining.. I thought I knew what they meant, I just wanted another opinion on it.

7. jules2001, can I take a stab at it.
    Are they trying to say that they think the children are spending too much time doing algorithms, or worksheets/pages out of texts where they are answering several examples of the same kind. They would prefer the children to be involved in "rich" tasks that are open ended, (to show what they are capable of) and which are linked to real life situations.

8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

The full sentence is worse! Why would someone in education write such appalling, incomprehensible drivel? Why can't they say what they mean? Good English shouldn't need explaining, it should be clear. I would ignore it completely on the grounds that it makes no sense.