1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

help needed...how long to accept a job offer?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, Feb 2, 2012.

  1. So I am currently working in a school as a nursery teacher - I applied for a y4 job, didnt get it, then they offered me the nursery job on a temp contract till summer
    They are now advertising for a nursery teacher for next september ona 12 month contract as nursery funding isnt clear after that. And my school is also advertising for a lower junior teacher which is permanent.
    The headteacher says I am welcome to apply for both jobs, but i feel th\t I want the permanent job more than the 12 month contract.
    Now the interview for the nursery job is 4 days before the ks2 job, (and i know i am not guaranteed either) so if i go to the nursery interview and i'm offered the job, can i wait 4 days to decide? as i dont want to miss out on a permanent contract but also I dont want to turn down the nursery job and then not get the ks2 job and end up with nothing. this is all based on me getting interviews for both i know.

    any advice given would help

    Miss H
  2. minnieminx

    minnieminx New commenter

    Talk to your HT and let them know how you feel. Especially tell them what a fab KS2 teacher you would be. They may well make an exception for you since you already work there.
  3. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Which do you feel is more important?
    To work with nursery age children for a year, with no guarantee of a job thereafter? Or to definitely have a job?
    How do you feel about teaching lower juniors? It would be a change, but Primary teachers often change year groups and take a while to settle in. Does the prospect fill you with horror or are you up for a challenge?
    To be honest, if the school feel you'd be unhappy with the KS2 post, they probably wouldn't offer it to you anyway. Then, if you'd refused the nursery post, you <u>could</u> be left with nothing!
    Tough decisions, but ones only you can answer.
  4. well I am junior trained (thats why I originally applied for the y4 job) but when they offered me the nursery job 'd had no previous experience in nursery
    i am more confident as a junior teacher

  5. minnieminx

    minnieminx New commenter

    Definitely talk to your HT. Set out that you feel happier and more confident with juniors and feel you are a better teacher with them. Give some evidence of this. But then also say you really don't want to leave and so would consider another year in nursery if the year 4 post went to someone else.

    Just ensure they know year 4 is your preferred option.

    But would you leave for a KS2 post somewhere else rather than stick with the year long nursery post where you are? If so, don't bother applying to nursery at all.
  6. carriecat10

    carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

    Did you get any feedback before about why they didn't offer you the Y4 job? This might help you decide how they view you as a prospective KS2 teacher.
    Good luck,
    Carrie [​IMG]
  7. it was very close between me and somebody else, but eventually they gave it to the man who is currently teaching y4.
    the feedback i got said I needed more confidence in interviewing and they said my learning objective could be stronger.

    i think i will wait to see if i do get interviews for both and then ask what do to?

Share This Page