1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed - How do I ensure progression from grade 3 to 4 in GCSE English

Discussion in 'English' started by goonergal1, Jan 13, 2020.

1. goonergal1

goonergal1 New commenter

Hello lovely English teachers.

I've been away from teaching English at secondary and FE level for the past 6 years due to bringing up children.

I have my first interview soon ( a miracle, I've applied for 100s of jobs!) and they have asked me to answer the above question as part of a presentation.

In my head, I'm thinking ensuring marking moves pupil on, highlight progression in books, texts are relevant and accessible to all pupils, various reading strategies for LA, challenge misunderstandings, pupils take ownership of their targets...

But I know there is much more to it than this and I'm feeling overwhelmed. Can anybody help?

2. goonergal1

goonergal1 New commenter

The title/question to be answered should read "How do i ensure progression from grades 3 to 4 in GCSE English?
    Sent before I punctuated!

3. lynne33

lynne33 New commenter

Focus on writing. Spag very important. Then methods to plan clear structures: we use AQA's drop, zoom, flash and end. Vocabulary work also essential - lots on this. Could also talk about the importance of spoken language as a framework for paper 2 q5.

4. goonergal1

goonergal1 New commenter

Thank you so much.

5. lynne33

lynne33 New commenter

It's about what you do as a teacher and what they need as the learners. Hope you get the post!

6. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

If you've been out of the game you will have missed the introduction of the current GCSE? If so, you need to get some exemplars of Grade 3 and 4 answers (AQA provide exemplar exam answers; so I assume other boards do!) to look specifically at the skills needed to develop their answers to a Grade 4 - obviously this will vary; but in general the skills/foci examined across the two papers boil down to comprehension (Q1s on both papers - don't sweat that one too much); Language effects/analysis; structural effects/analysis (on a micro-level rather than a macro whole-text level - unless looking specifically at literature); evaluating (agree or disagree with a statement in relation to a way a text is constructed and the intended effects); summarising (the 'what') and, finally, comparison (only needed on Paper 2 Questions 2 and 4; and in Lit for the poetry questions). Writing sections on both papers both worth 50% - Paper 1 is writing creatively/descriptively using a title or image as a stimulus; Paper 2 Q5 is non-fiction, discursive writing. In short, moving from a Grade 3 to a Grade 4 is mostly about building depth and detail into a student's responses (like PEE or PEEL paragraphs; but they're old hat now!): whether that's reading or writing; however, specific to writing, it's about being mostly secure in basic technical accuracy and beginning to employ some stylistic choices/features.

7. goonergal1

goonergal1 New commenter

Many thanks englishtt06, an insightful summary of what is needed.
    You are correct, I missed the intro and all the CPD around the current GCSE and grading.
    As you say, I've read elsewhere that strategies like PEE, PEEL, PEA and AFOREST etc are now frowned upon.
    lots to get my head around.

8. angrypixie

angrypixie New commenter

It's a strange paper in the current spec which a lot of us have struggled with, particularly questions 3 and 4 on Paper 1. I would say that comparing like with like is important in paper 2. Language analysis comes up on both papers and in paper 2 question 4 it[s misleading as it asks you to compare writers' methods but actually the markscheme focuses on comparison of the ideas/perspectives more than the methods.