1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed - getting a bit obsessed.

Discussion in 'English' started by Caulorlime, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Caulorlime

Caulorlime New commenter

I'm in a bit of a battle with Edexcel over a student's much lower than expected A-Level Literature result. I've gone through all of the procedures and, surprise surprise, no change has been made. The most recent communication, and the last one I can have with the board as I've exhausted all the avenues open to me, was with the chief examiner who, I think, basically circled the wagons and defended the (poor) decisions made by her team.

Some context - this girl is one of the most bright that I've ever taught. We gave her 100% for her A2 Coursework and it was upheld by the board. The board moderator called it a "fabulous piece." She had done well enough in her AS modules that, with the A2 CW mark, she had only to get a C in the unit 3 paper to get an A over all. She got a B overall, as the unit three paper was marked at an E. I've read it and, while it isn't her finest hour, I can't see any way at all that this exam is an E.

However, maybe I'm just wrong. I know it's a cheeky thing to ask, but I've uploaded the exam paper (minus candidate's name and with permission) to a Google doc and wondered if people with experience of the Edexcel Literature spec. might have a look at it and tell me where I'm wrong; or just confirm to me that my student has been really shabbily treated.
    Thanks in advance. The paper is here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OfvYUCUMBX3nZtYnJ7CUD7tS55YTHRRBUy3Eo6S20aQ/edit?usp=sharing

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I haven't got time to look at the unseen, but I wouldn't argue much with the marking of the novels. AO1 and AO2 perhaps on the mean side, but there's not really a strong line of argument, little on structure and language analysis doesn't further the argument much. I would say there are links rather than comparisons, and limted reference to different interpretations. Context better but, again not really furthering an argument. Although I've taught this for quite a while, I tend to have the opposite experience - I must be a really mean marker because most of my students do better than I expect. How many marks would you give it?

3. Caulorlime

Caulorlime New commenter

Thanks for this, Gloria. It's helpful, though not what I hoped to hear, obviously. Whilst I accept and agree with your readings I still can't quite accept that, holisitically, that paper was only worth an E grade. Still, thanks for your time and help.