1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP NEEDED: GCSE Chemistry Grade progression ladders

Discussion in 'Science' started by bidd1980, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone,
    We are currently trying to tighten our assessment of progression during lessons at KS4. We want to develop graded progression ladders for the GCSE triple content. I have tried digging around on the net but have found nothing thats content specific.
    If anyone has ANYTHING even slightly relevant they would be willing to share then please could you email me??
    lisabiddulph@hotmail.com
    In return i'd be happy to share any of our resources for KS3 or 4 GCSE and BTEC.
    Thanks in advance
    Bidd1980[​IMG]

2. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

Ok, good. Give me a few days to sort it out (not difficult, just fiddly).

3. I would be enormously grateful for these as well. Hopefully rejigging the way we teach at KS4 and this would save me a big job!

4. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

Ok Nemo, leave it with me and they will be ready soon.

5. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

Here you go. Any problems or suggestions let me know. [​IMG]
    https://sites.google.com/site/chemistrychimp/gcse-chemistry/AHMGCSEChemistryBooklet.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

6. they look fab, thanks a lot!

7. Thank you so much. I think I can use these well!

8. Thats awesome thanks so much for sharing your hard work. Whatever we produce from it I will upload.
    Thanks again you have saved me hours of work [​IMG]

9. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

Your welcome folks. I've got loads of 'home made' stuff that I'm going to try and put online, alas time (the usual suspect) is always limited.
    As mentioned before, if you have any ideas about anything I've posted - good or bad - then let me know. Unfortunately I have very little (if any) feedback from people that I work with regarding the resources that I produce and I'm always looking to improve them.

10. These resources are fantastic! Thank you for uploading them. It's great to see Schools and staff sharing things that work and seeing the bigger picture in terms of pupil progress rather than autonomous rivalry. If we produce anything else from this we'll also post (thinking about extending it to Bs and Ps!

How did you get your levels e.g. B in a particular topic? Has that come from an AQA source or examination of questions/mark allocation?

Thanks again,

Mat Galvin
    Birley Community College, Sheffield

11. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

How did you get your levels e.g. B in a particular topic?
    It sort of follows a basic Blooms taxonomy sort of approach that I have cobbled together from work done in KS3. Simple tasks get a low grade, more involved tasks get a higher grade. I didn't put too much thought into to it because at the end of the day the students use them as a guide. Having said that, I have noted that they are pretty much accurate (>95%) for my students in terms of what I assess them as being able to do in class with what they achieve in external exams.
    I could go on but I don't want to sound like an educational consultant*. Suffice to say that I am happy with the system, my staff are and most importantly the kids are happy with it. You can easily apply it to B & P because it just uses the triggers from KS3.
    State something (simple recall) E
    List something (a bit better than a simple statement that could have been guessed) D
    Describe something (bit more involved, correct simple scientific terminology (ST) used) C
    Explain something (Usually the thing they have described) B
    Explain in Detail (Like the B but with appropriate use of ST/ Equations etc) A
    Compare & Link (use all of the above to involve other topics, subjects, units etc to produce detailed evaluations, analysis, predictions, etc while at all times using correct ST, balanced symbol equations etc) A*
    Another way to look at it is that you would simply score more marks on a test the more you can do!
    Finally, don't make it difficult for yourself. The grade descriptors are simply learning outcomes ordered using the system describe above. Look in your SOW, text books etc and you can always rejig a learning objective into an outcome into a leveled descriptor.
    Works at A level too because it just deals with more difficult content.
    * I don't buy into the claptrap that consultants spout. 90% of teaching is straighforward but some people don't half make it difficult by dressing it up as something it's not. Classroom management, motivation and engagement is where I do most of my work on a daily basis, lesson mechanics - the easy stuff like this - is all in the preparation.