1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed from KS1 teachers please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Oct 27, 2011.

1. We use big umbrella topics for the term and then interpretate them as we wish.
    We're doing "Up up and away" next term and going into space and aeroplanes as it gives scope for quite a lot.
    As long as you've got the freedom to do what you want with that topic, I would definately go into space. The children will love it and get a lot from it and at the end of the day that's what counts.
    The other option is to find stories with people that aspire to be something, but they would be harder stories to track down and I cant think of any off the top of my head.

2. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I have used 'Whatever Next' in the past with year 1 children and they have really enjoyed the story and the space topic.

3. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Units are a dead duck now anyway, so wouldn't worry -just make sure teaching key objectives through variety of genre. If you want it to fit in though, I would prob put with stories in fantasy settings for Y1.

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

If you feel like space could be off limits, what is the theme title supposed to mean? I find it baffling other than as an old TV programme title.

5. I really liked Stella to Earth, starts at home too, also Way Back Home is another that starts at home and goes to the moon and back, There's also a nice story about a girl who finds a star, and has lots of animals using it for different things too . . .can't remember the title at the mo though !!