1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed from any KS1 teachers/coordinators

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Dec 10, 2011.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I know this has probably been asked so many times on here, but would anybody be kind enough to send me or point me in the right direction of a good letters and sounds assessment. So how to best assess where abouts in the phases a child is working at.
    We are having a disagreement at work and would like some alternative suggestions.
    What do you think about the assessment materials on phonics play?
    Thanks in advance

2. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I know this has probably been asked so many times on here, but would anybody be kind enough to send me or point me in the right direction of a good letters and sounds assessment. So how to best assess where abouts in the phases a child is working at.
    We are having a disagreement at work and would like some alternative suggestions.
    What do you think about the assessment materials on phonics play?
    Thanks in advance

3. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

A few years ago I made some A4 assessment sheets based on the guidance at the end of each L&S phase. We've used them with children we're not sure about, new arrivals or children who are struggling (to highlight gaps & specific difficulties). Either teacher or TA can do these with a pile of flashcards, some magnetic letters and a whiteboard. These are saved in my resources on here already.
    I would also be looking for children to be applying phonic knowledge and skills in shared, guided and independent work - ideally child initiated in FS.
    We look for a 'best fit' and wouldn't hold a child back in a phase if they were still missing a few GPC or tricky words, these can be retaught and practiced alongside new. Otherwise the pace and progression in learning will slow.
    For tracking purposes we record the level we've assessed the child to be secure at with the assumption they are now working on the level above.
    Hope this helps!!