1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed from an NQT!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by esther_sulin_ooi, May 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. esther_sulin_ooi

esther_sulin_ooi New commenter

Hello,

I have got my first job starting September in a lovely primary school. Due to completing my final year at University I was unable to go and visit the school prior my interview.

There are a few new teachers starting so I haven't received the year group that I will be teaching.

I am wondering if you know what support I will be given from the school before September (e.g. class list, long term plans, CPD, Inset days).

Thank you in advance.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Will you finish university before the end of the school year? If so, you could ask to visit your new school then. By that point of the year they might have more information for you, eg. which year group, which classroom. I did this when I was an NQT and it was interesting. I was also asked to be present for 'transition day', which meant I got to meet my new class and find out a bit about them/their abilities. I didn't receive a final class list until a couple of days before term began. My NQT mentor met with me one day during the summer and gave me lots of useful documents and policies. I'm not sure if all schools/mentors do this, but it was reassuring for me as a nervous NQT!

3. voiceoftruthandwisdom526

voiceoftruthandwisdom526 New commenter

Pretty much all schools will expect you to be there for Transition Day, which means that you will know which year group you are teaching before that (it's generally the beginning of July round us, but every county seems to do something slightly different).

As to what else you will be told, given etc... well that's highly dependent on the school. I was given access to all long term plans, planning formats, and the knowledge of how the school worked to use them. I was lucky in that I had trained in that same school, so it wasn't as much as a learning curve as for others.

On the other hand, my boyfriend (who is just about to finish his NQT year) was told at the end of his training year not to bother coming in to spend time with the class before the holidays, and was told not to worry about working or planning over the summer. He thought that was great over the summer holidays, but has realised just how much he was on the back foot because of it over the rest of the year.

I know everyone is different, and every school is different, but I have known many NQTs who feel much, much more relaxed if they can spend as much time as they like preparing before September. If you want the things you mentioned in your OP, then ask for them! Worst they can say is no :)

4. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

I would anticipate that you will be invited in for the transition day, which usually happens early in July in line with secondary move up days. I would also imagine you will be invited in to set up your classroom for September and you can certainly expect to receive information in advance. I suggest you contact the school after half term and say that you would like to go in to review class lists etc. (these won’t be finalised yet), policies, available planning etc. if possible and ask when this would be possible. It is to the school’s advantage if you are up to speed in advance so they are unlikely to turn down your offer!