1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed for Much Ado about Nothing

Discussion in 'English' started by KHT, Nov 12, 2011.

1. KHT

KHT

Hi
    I'm currently doing my PGCE and am teaching Much Ado About Nothing to a mixed ability year 9 class. I'm trying to plan a double lesson for Tuesday (100mins!) and am hitting a bit of a brick wall. The class is very quiet and reluctant to contribute ideas or do presentations, however get easily bored when doing written tasks. I've got to cover Act 2 Scene 2 (Don John and Borachio Plotting) to Act 3 scene 1 (The tricks on Beatrice and Benedick). I have thought about approaching it from the theme of deceit, but am struggling to think of interesting ideas that the class will actually do!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

2. KHT

KHT

Hi
    I'm currently doing my PGCE and am teaching Much Ado About Nothing to a mixed ability year 9 class. I'm trying to plan a double lesson for Tuesday (100mins!) and am hitting a bit of a brick wall. The class is very quiet and reluctant to contribute ideas or do presentations, however get easily bored when doing written tasks. I've got to cover Act 2 Scene 2 (Don John and Borachio Plotting) to Act 3 scene 1 (The tricks on Beatrice and Benedick). I have thought about approaching it from the theme of deceit, but am struggling to think of interesting ideas that the class will actually do!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

3. Hi,
    How about changing the context to modern day and get your class to tweet/facebook message each other in role as the characters? This then incorporates elements of plot, characterisation and voice. You can link with the theme of deceit by specifying the audience of each message- a closed group, or one which includes Beatrice/Bendick. Hope this helps.

4. Hiya,

I have literally this evening uploaded a couple of powerpoitns for much ado - should be up within the hour! Freaky. I used these for 100min lessons. It looks at putting much ado in a modern context and chracter profiling etc.

Just search Sian Carter (that's me!) in resources and you should find the resources. I have used with some very quiet and some very challenging groups and was so successful I extended the tasks into a drama s+l activity.

Hope it helps!