1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed for Maths of car engines

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Goldopals, Jun 17, 2011.

1. I am a graduate teacher in Australia, and am having trouble reaching some of students. I found out today that they are obsessed about cars and walk like to integrate Maths of cars and car engines into my lessons. However, I know nothing about cars (apart from changing a tire) and need help to identify aspects I could include. Can anyone give me a link to ideas for resources identify where high school Maths applies in a car engine. Thanks in advance

2. "walk" should be would

3. KYP

KYP New commenter

What age are the students? Have you done a web search? 30 secs found this:http://www.racemath.info/Vehicles/Formula_1_Cars.htm
    Any use?

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

http://www.cshsoft.com/
    This company produce software that allows you to set up a Formula 1 racing car (Maths in Motion software). The Maths is accessible to middle ability secondary students with some guidance.

5. Why not get them to design a manual gearbox?

6. Here are a few ideas for you:
    Trigonometry: Measure the toe in / toe out of wheels in mm and convert it to degrees and vice versa.
    Volume of an engine: Work out the displacement from the bore, stroke and number of pistons.
    Create some thrust graphs: Multiply the torque of the engine over the rev range by each gear ratio.
    Top speed: Calculate the top speed of a vehicle and how it would change with different gears, final drive and wheel size. This can be further complicated by adding the effects of aerodynamic drag.

7. Appealing to kids based on cars?
    (1) Dont get any qualifications, you far less likely to get a car and if you do its more likely to be a beaten up 20 year old heap you cant lure women/men in.
    (2) Do your bit, get some qualifcations behind you and work hard, you are more likely to be able to afford a nice car for yourself or the family and enjoy freedom. Years off hassle free motoring for a bit of work
    (3) Push yourself, get great qualifications and go onto a good job and you can start buying the cars you are fascinated with.
    It depends on how you view the situation...do you try and make the maths about the car or the car about the maths. I find long term the intrinsic desire to better yourself is a little more effective than using cars in maths alone.
    Some of the ideas are good above to blend the 2

8. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Motor Vehicle Calculations by Chapman and Hall (????) pub Arnold, two volumes (Red and Blue covered) are foundly remembered texts which are essentially Physics/Engineereing Science based, for young tradesman's City and Guilds exams.

9. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

... The Authors are more likely to be Champion and Arnold.