1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed for Interview with Y2

Discussion in 'Independent' started by skinnimini, Feb 12, 2018.

1. skinnimini

skinnimini New commenter

Hi everyone.

So I have an interview at a prep school next week and the teaching task is to teach a 40 minute English lesson to Year 2. I’ve done my research and they have been learning about Oceans and Seas. I’m going to base the lesson on a book and originally was going to do Dougal’s Deep Sea Diary and then decided that The Snail and the Whale has much nicer language. Good job as they have already done Dougal’s Deep Sea Diary from looking at their termly magazine!

I know The Snail and the Whale is quite a babyish story but I still think it has a place in Year 2. My focus will be expanded noun phrases based on a picture prompt from the book and then I can extend them with other Y2 objectives (adverbs, -ing suffixes etc).

I’ve got loads of things planned to keep it engaging and I think the class will love it- I’m just slightly concerned that they will think the book is pitched too low.

What are your thoughts?

Also, part of the day is a student council panel- has anyone had any experience of this?

Many thanks in advance!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Sounds fab!
    I teach year 3, also in a prep, and my class would still get a lot from The Snail and The Whale.
    Add in some PSHE type discussion and make it clear on your plan that you chose this book in order to use a whole text in your lesson, but if you were teaching for a term, you'd use a longer and more challenging read.
    Definitely do not give the idea that you have any concerns about the book.

Your lesson sounds great, so go for it!
    Well done on getting that interview.

3. skinnimini

skinnimini New commenter

Thanks for your reply, Caterpillartobutterfly. You’ve put my mind at rest about the book!

Well I’m only reading the first half of the book and stopping there to really focus on those expanded noun phrases and description rather than distracting them with the rest of the story. If there’s time at the end, I’ll read the rest and have those kinds of discussions.

I shall update you on how it went!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Try to read the rest of the book at the end if there is time.