1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed for a student

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by captain2432, Dec 9, 2019.

1. captain2432

captain2432 New commenter

Earlier today I had a student basically have a breakdown and had to go home. When speaking to him, I found out that the school had previously known that he had self-harmed and has had multiple breakdowns in class but nothing was done. No support has been offered. I want to help him but don't know what to do. Would other staff members get into trouble about not doing something beforehand?

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

This is a Child Protection issue - have you spoken to the CP lead at your school?

strawbs likes this.
  3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

You definitely need to report this to the member of staff responsible for Child Protection in your school. The CP person needs to know that another breakdown has occurred. There may already be things in place for the pupil that you have not been made aware of. If you are not satisfied with their response, go higher up.

strawbs and Morninglover like this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Follow the advice in posts 2 & 3. It would be a mistake not to follow school procedures to the letter.