1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help Needed! Eligible for English PGCE

Discussion in 'English' started by Cle0patra, May 30, 2011.

1. Hello Everybody

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to ask your advice. I know that my best course of action will be to speak to PGCE course providers but I'd like a little bit of a head start from you all.

I've been considering re-training as a secondary teacher for a while now, but think I may have come across a stumbling block. My degree is in Ancient World Studies (2:1 from UCL, graduated in 2001) which was a combination of classical literature, language and other subjects (philosophy etc). The majority of the modules I chose were literature based particularly Greek drama, and included a large % of textual analysis. I went on to complete a MA in Publishing and have worked in the industry for the last 9 years. I am currently working for a well known Oxford publisher as an Editor of HE textbooks.

My question is simple really - Do you think I can argue that my degree and subsequent experience is germane to an English PGCE? What more could I do to help my cause?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me

P.S. I have A grades at GCSE for literature and language and a B grade Literature A-level

2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

From http://graduates.teachfirst.org.uk/recruitment/teaching-subject-requirements.html it seems that you need a B in your 'teaching subject' at A-Level; the degree itself doesn't matter. I'm not quite sure about the PGCE, but echo the sentiments above. You have a good degree from an excellent university - and indeed an MA and lots of impressive experience - so I don't think it would have too much of a negative impact on how you are recruited. You could in fact argue you have a Classics degree! - it's just unfortunately titled. When it comes to recruitment, just see if you can find a space to list your modules (making it clear that you took an academically rigorous and very literature-centred course) - unless your prospective employer really demands a 100% English degree, they would surely be impressed. I say...you can even offer a second, and a third subject (Classical Civilisation, Philosophy) - sounds better the more I think about it Good luck!!

3. By experience, do they not just mean 'school experience'? A couple of weeks observing in a local comp would probably do your application a world of good.

4. salve Cleo ;)
    I am a current English PGCE student (at KCL) with a Classics degree. I had to argue my case in my PGCE interview, but they recognised that my experience of textual analysis and language were relevant to English. I also gave details of my extra-curricular hobbies/interests such as writing, drama and debating. Your work in publishing would be very relevant, I'm sure. So I would say you are in with a good shot at the PGCE. It might be worth contacting the places you apply to and checking what their policy is.
    In terms of job-hunting, I've had a lot of difficulty and I think my degree was somewhat to blame - although only one school explicitly said so. Every interview got me on the defensive about it and nobody took it as a positive that I would be able to offer Class Civ as well -one school even said I didn't seem committed enough to English because I said I could help out with their Classics club! So it is worth bearing in mind that it could be an issue for you too.
    However, I've now got a job at my placement school where they know I can teach English...and I don't for one minute regret choosing English over Classics for my teaching career.

5. Hello there,
    I liked your post above and thought I'd add something to the discussion.
    I am a Classics graduate currently enjoying my role as a learning support assistant in a London secondary school.
    Perhaps in response to the news that I had been offered a similar job elsewhere, the school last week offered me a GTP place to teach English.
    I am very excited about it but also questioning whether a DRB will accept me onto a course.
    Prior to my association with the school, I was a journalist for 20 years, editing a number of high-profile publications both here and in the US. I decided on a career change last year.
    There are strong links between Classical and certain branches of English literature, and I know I would enjoy making these connections during lessons.
    Do I stand a chance?!
    Any thoughts will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    C

6. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

I did my PGCE at University of Bath, which was excellent, I highly recommend it.