1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help needed doing performance management with a difficult teacher

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by bubbly1, Apr 7, 2011.

1. I am the FS and KS1 leader in a primary school and a member of SMT. I have to do performance management reviews with my team, most of whom are very easy to work with. However I have 1 member who is well known throughout school as being 'hard work'. She is very negative about any changes and negative generally ! She is not willing to adapt her teaching or planning. She complains about everything in school and gets upset about seemingly very unimportant things. My first review with her was fine, but only really because she led it. I am new to all of this and I am keen to show my Head that I am willing to try different ways to manage her. Can anyone advise me on how I can set targets with her that she is happy with but are also realted to areas we want her to work on e.g the way she talks to people, being more open to adapting planning etc.

2. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Tricky but familiar situation I should think! There are colleagues like this in every school I should think. Tread carefully when it's things like how to talk to people, they may want evidence they have spoken badly and cause even more confrontation!!!

Value her views, ask open questions towards your goals. What do you think of the planning? How could we make changes for the better etc? Praise for the good she does but suggest how things need to be. Ask Head to sit in? Good luck!