1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed: Differences between teaching Science in primary and secondary

Discussion in 'Science' started by ClickBiology, Feb 14, 2012.

1. I have an interview for my dream job next week as a teaching training lecturer and have a presentation on the following topic:
    "Describe the differences you would expect to see between the teaching of Science at the Early Years Foundation Stage and KS1 and the approaches to teaching Science at KS3/4"
    I would be interested in the thoughts of secondary teachers on what they think the differences are. It would be nice to amalgamate responses to make a Wordle image to compare with similar responses from primary teachers. It would also be useful to know if you taught in private or state sector schools and at what level.
    (anyone else also up for the same job...don't nick my idea!)
    I would be really grateful for your help and lots of thanks,
    Allison

2. One of the main differences is that most primary schools don't have a specific classroom(lab) or technicians or much equipment (in my experience). I have taught science in both primary and secondary and found primary really difficult because of the above! In primary I tried to adapt my approaches to make it easier to resource - solid liquids gases - involved tacking in ice and hot water in thermos flasks - though we did have fun melting chocolate and setting it in different shaped moulds!
    Y1 involved lots of discussion; sitting on the carpet as pupils describe their ideas. Foundation was a lot of learning through play. I think there are things to learn here - boys for example need to discuss/speak their ideas out loud ...... even at secondary level!
    Probably more differentiation at secondary - we set from Y7;

3. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your experience matches my own actually, it was exhausting teachign Primary Science having to constantly think of ways to teach a topic in an interesting manner with next to no equipment. I remember trying to get a spare room allocated as a science reource/mini lab area but lost out to it becoming a craft storage room.
    I had lots of fun thoughbut have a better time now as a secondary techer inviting the primarychildren into the labs for themed events. Ensuring learning and recording can be tricky thoughas they just want to DO stuff. Reflection and evaluation is so important and yes, disussions are very valuable to ensure understanding has occurred.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In Secondary we teach it properly![​IMG]