1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed - Camera for teaching aid

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by beccyf, Dec 7, 2016.

1. beccyf

beccyf New commenter

At my old sch we all had iPads which was great for being able to walk round the classroom and project kids work on the board automatically. It was difficult in that it didn't have a stand but otherwise fantastic as could do real time videos too.

I'm looking for something similar but just the camera (which can focus and clearly show writing) and live videoing. Obviously I need it to be cheapish and wireless. Any ideas??

A camera on the end of a smart board clicker thing would be perfect, do they exist??

Any help/advice appreciated!

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I hope you are not intending to pay for this.

I appreciate part of education is to prepare children for the familiarity and use of modern technology, but a lot of this sort of thing is just gimmicky and distracting, and has a very detrimental affect on the concentration and attention abilities of children.

A small amount, in its place is ok, but I'm not a big fan, certainly don't think every classroom needs one :eek:

3. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

I respectfully disagree with Dunnocks - having the ability to project pupils' work onto the board, so everyone can read it is very useful. Even more useful is being able to project exam papers and model my thinking processes as I tackle a question: that's been particularly useful at A-level.

I used to take photos on my phone, then connect it using a USB - cheap and simple enough, although obviously not real time video. I got an Ipevo visualiser last year, which isn't wireless but does do video - it was cheap but it's not that robust, so not something I'd like the kids moving about. I probably use it every day, for some purpose or other, and I'd definitely recommend a camera of some sort - I've not seen anything that matches your description, though I'd definitely be interested in one if you find anything!

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

iPads are great for recording pupils' work and the creative process through photos and video. They are so immediate and easy to use. Would your department budget stretch to the acquisition of one iPad - or might you be able to convert the IT Department so that some iPads can be purchased? Good luck!