1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed- Big Writing video clips of KS1 needed

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Mar 8, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That would be because Big Writing isn't designed for KS1.

2. I figured seeing as so many schools, including mine, have implemented BW in KS1, that there may be more support and resources out there for Year 1 and Year 2....

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. We do a kind of version of Big Writing in Year 2 which works very well, but probably isn't Big Writing in the Andrell sense. It is a weekly independent write from some kind of visual stimuli, focussing on different aspects of writing. We usually use animations, but sometimes objects or a still image.

5. Msz

Have you asked Ros Wilson?

6. How would I go about that Msz?

7. Msz

There is a forum on the Andrell site or Ros is normally to be found on Twitter

8. My school currently undertakes Big Writing in the same format as KS2 which works surprisingly well for the majority of our pupils. The KS1 teachers are looking for more ideas to use in Big Writing (different activities, games etc) to vary what they currently do but that is where I am struggling as I can't find anything out there. I would like to look into Big Talk further though, are there any other materials out there or just this book?

9. Msz

Has anyone at the school had any training or do you have the Gold book?

10. Neither I'm afraid :( I work at an international school and so no one has had official Big Writing training, it is mainly done in house by reading articles and watching clips on Teachers TV and youtube. Our KS1 teachers do a job when it comes to BW but would love to do classroom observations outside of the school to see how other teachers implement it with the younger classes. This is not possible so the next best thing is watching videos of other teachers. I am not in a position to introduce anything such as Big Talk now, only develop what already exists.

11. Msz

There is a dvd of BigTalk/writing in an international school with younger children
    http://www.andrelleducation.co.uk/shop/by-type/dvds/big-writing-at-the-british-school-tokyo/

12. I think that's the one and only KS1 training video we have seen! Thanks so much for your support, if you have any more ideas please keep them coming :)