1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed asap

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by sarahrodgers71, Feb 7, 2016.

1. sarahrodgers71

sarahrodgers71 New commenter

Hi,
    I work in a SLD class where chidren are working from P6-1c. I have a big observation for humanities tomorrow in which I teach a double lesson (2 hours). We are looking at the UK and maps so I have already looked at maps learning about Grid references etc. then we moved onto British landmarks which we did last week. I was thinking of looking at worldwide landmarks as they really enjoyed looking at the landmarks and they've done everything I set out for the term but not sure what to do with them. Need 2 hours worth of planning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

We looked at the students' houses with google maps, they loved it!
    We also did something with the tube map, we are a London based school. Students looked up where they lived and how they would get to a landmark.

missrturner likes this.
  3. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

Have to agree with @sanneme with the use of Google Maps. I had the children find their houses (I even started the lesson by showing them my old, old house - engaged them straight away). I've also used Google Maps to find landmarks by entering the grid references (a bit of research on your part). They had to search the grid reference and then write/tick the landmark that came up depending on ability. They absolutely loved being able to move around these landmarks/streets, a real engaging way of looking at maps!

You could perhaps do a quiz to work out the grid references / world landmark and the students have to use Google Maps to piece all the information together?

sanneme likes this.