1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help needed about covering absent teachers

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by tardis, Mar 25, 2016.

1. tardis

tardis New commenter

Hello

I am at my wits end hence this post. I took a fixed term contract at an academy and am effectively employed by them and not an agency. They all knew my timetable was pretty light but the workload has proved to be horrendous because of SLT not managing the previous teachers who had had the classes. I had been enjoying the job until a few weeks ago. Nearly every week I am now on cover. I thought because of rarely cover rules that this was only to be given to staff in exceptional circumstances. Can someone please advise me as I have no idea what to do. Thanks

2. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

If you have flex in your timetable then you can be used for cover for some of those lessons.
    PPA can't be used for cover unless it's rarely cover eg. I was used for rarely cover after an accident that closed the main dual carriageway near school and lots of staff were an hour late.

3. tardis

tardis New commenter

Thanks a lot. Your answer helps purplecarrot