1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help need to plan week on snow white

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by j13, Feb 23, 2011.

1. j13

j13

help i teach reception and our topic for the week is snow white ....(I can't change this )

but I don't know what to plan for literacy....

been thinking of sequencing the story at the start
    thinking about good and bad characters and maybe writing a description

and maybe doing a retell of the story

I guess we could act it out too

but at the end of the week I always run out of ideas...and I am being watched alot at the moment so need to have something good ...

can anyone help?

thanks

j13

2. j13

j13

help i teach reception and our topic for the week is snow white ....(I can't change this )

but I don't know what to plan for literacy....

been thinking of sequencing the story at the start
    thinking about good and bad characters and maybe writing a description

and maybe doing a retell of the story

I guess we could act it out too

but at the end of the week I always run out of ideas...and I am being watched alot at the moment so need to have something good ...

can anyone help?

thanks

j13

3. I did this topic and the children loved it.The things the children loved the most were:
    * Magic mirrors - we stuck two paper plates together one with a whole in and then painted pictures of the people we thought 'were the fairest of them all' inside and wrote a message.
    *We made apple pies,played apple bobbing with keywords on, apple pattern printing to make a blanket for snow white.
    *We used plastic bottles to make the dwarfs and added numbers. Then weplayed bowling and added the numbers together.
    *We invented new dwarfs
    *I found these great little wind up egg toys. We decorated them like the characters added numbers to them, placed them on a start line and then let them go. Children had to place bets on who they thought would win the race. This was great for number formation as children had to write the number they thought would win.
    *We did some freeze framing where children acted out a scene and then froze. I took their photograph and then they wrote speech bubbles.
    *We used junk model to make a house.
    Trying to think what else we did...... If i can remember I will repost.

What objectives are you looking to cover??

4. j13

j13

wow that's impresive....I like the magic mirror idea I could use that for character descriptions

I also like the idea of using thses freeze frames to write on

I was thinking of the objective : to know main features of a story: characters, sequence of events and story openings

because my year group partner is planning the child iniated activities that week

the new dwarf idea is interesting too but how would you go about that?

j13 x

5. sadika

sadika New commenter

We gave our dwarves cvc names like Pat, Jim, Ken - gave the children opportunities to practce blanding and segmenting ... also arranged them in order so "Who is 1st .... 7th". Had a nice number poem about 7 dwarves too - taking away.

6. I was just about to say the same.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Well, you can do enhanced activities that need a little initial imput. When our nursery 'did' Goldilocks, we set up our Home Corner as the bears' cottage. It worked a treat.