1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - need to make one of those paper things which you is made using origami and I played with as a child!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by warwickr, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Sorry - have no idea what they are called but you basically fold and fold until you end up with lots of flaps that you write messages under (eg I love you, I think you smell, or whatever!).

You then put the folded sheets over your hands and offer a choice to someone chanting a rhyme. Wherever your hands end up you unfold the message and read what it says.

Any ideas how to make one??

2. Sorry - have no idea what they are called but you basically fold and fold until you end up with lots of flaps that you write messages under (eg I love you, I think you smell, or whatever!).

You then put the folded sheets over your hands and offer a choice to someone chanting a rhyme. Wherever your hands end up you unfold the message and read what it says.

Any ideas how to make one??

3. Just re-read my original message. Honestly, when I teach I make MUCH more sense!!!

4. ch2

ch2

Start with a square piece of paper and mark the centre. Take each corner and fold a triangle shape down to the mark so that you still have a square. Turn the whole thing over. Repeat the process - folding the corners into the middle. Then take the bottom half of the square and fold it up to meet the top edge. You can slot your fingers into the gaps underneath to open and close it.

Then the fun part - colour on the top four squares, numbers in the middle and the "answer" inside.

I loved making these!! hope this makes sense!!

Carol

5. 666

You need a sqaure piece of paper:

1. fold in half and into quaters, and the same on the diagonal. so when you unfold the paper there should be 4 folds in a star shape.

2. fold in the corners to the middle. (this should make a new square, but smaller)

3. turn over the paper and repeat.

4. this is kind of it, you just need to put your fingers in the folds and push them together.

6. ch2

ch2

Magicsparkle - that is so much better - it's really hard to descibe even with the paper in front of you. Hey I've made one now - might fill it in just for old times sake!!

7. I think they are called cootie catchers - try googling it.

8. Now I fascinated warwickr! What are you going to do with them? Could they be used in teaching literacy or numeracy? Or are they just for fun?

Well done ch2 - I've made one as well

9. Thanks so SO much. Have now made one. It's actually for my son who's in Year 8. Apparently he needs one for RE ("we're doing the Trinity"). Not QUITE sure what he's putting on it ... choices?

Mind you, it lends itself to lots of things. Maybe new words for a topic? If you made a giant one you could use it to introduce words ?? Or children could make one for themselves with topic words on and explanation underneath?

Thanks anyway!

10. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

There's a thread on here about ways to makeVCOP really work. Maybe the fortune tellers could be used, you could put connectives on and wow words underneath. The children would have to create a sentence. Maths games would be good as well. I feel an activity session coming on tomorrow.

11. This is a cootie catcher I made for my ESL class inspired on Eric Carle's book 'from Head to toe' to review body parts and related verbs. They loved it so much that I could use it only during 1 hour of class and then it disappeared!!!

http://misslucysteachingfun.blogspot.com.es/2010/03/action-comecoco.html

12. I used them last term in numeracy....
    Kids loved them! Used in Data Handling had mean mode range and median on top and they had to work out a qu and ans for each one... meant loads of questions could be asked and answered and no marking!
    So l loved it too - had photo's and choosers stuck in books for the 2 days and made a great maths display
    If more organised could even have matched it with instructions in literacy... Maybe next year!
    PM

13. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

14. Hi, I have used them for year 6 maths and science revision - downloaded from this website:

http://www.keyfactspublications.com/maths-chatterbox.html