1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!/Need advice about Dubai job offer ?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mariadelasol, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Mariadelasol

Mariadelasol New commenter

The last time I taught in the UAE I was paid 10,000 dirhams a month plus I had a one bedroom semi-furnished apartment and the usual benefits.
    Now I am being offered 16,000 dirhams monthly BUT 6,000 out of that salary is my housing allowance as they do not offer teachers housing.
    (Medical and flights are also included in addition to this salary.)

Is this a good deal?
    Also, besides dubizzle and craigslist- is there any other website anyone recommends to check out rentals in Dubai?
    The neighborhoods are Mirdif and Al Mizhar in Dubai.

paulberry2505 likes this.
  2. PuRe

PuRe New commenter

Hey, I dont think you will get much for that unless you are sharing, plus you have to pay deposits and sometimes a whole year in advance. Will they help you secure accommodation? Where do most of the teachers currently live?

Personally I would not do it for those numbers

3. yellowsubmarine1

yellowsubmarine1 New commenter

This can not be a school job or an international school if they are not offering free housing, Yes deposits are 12 months in advance in Dubai I have heard other teachers say. Therefore it would be a big big risk taking on this job if they fired you for any reason before the contract ends, I would never go to the ME without free housing personally and I would want 20 000 AED per month minimum cos I know they are raking it in so they should pay properly.

tmarie5 likes this.
  4. Mariadelasol

Anyone else with current info about rentals in Dubai?

5. february31st

february31st Occasional commenter

Dont do it, why do you think we have so many teachers who use to work in the ME now working in China?

6. Mariadelasol

China? Too much pollution.

7. february31st

february31st Occasional commenter

and the ME doesnt have pollution?

8. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

That is very low pay and it will not allow anything better than an old, run down one bedroom apartment, and as has been mentioned, you often have to pay upfront, and give a hefty deposit - not a contract I'd advise anyone to sign - sorry.

9. hunnibee24

hunnibee24 New commenter

I currently teach in Dubai. I get accommodation with my salary and am on 17000 as a HOD. I know of classroom teachers in other schools who get more than me but no accommodation. Their monthly is around 20-22000. Even at my school class teachers get roughly 12-14000 depending on experience with accommodation. 16000 is not a reasonable offer. You will struggle to get anywhere decent on that salary. studio apartments in some areas start at 35000 a year. Personally I wouldn't choose to live in them. As someone mentioned above you'd probably end up sharing with someone and potentially have a long commute to your work.

tmarie5 likes this.
  10. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

I'd pass on that one. 10k isn't enough to live on in Dubai each month, especially if you want to save or travel. Expect to pay around 8k a month for your accommodation, and decent accommodation at that. Prices for everything have gotten steadily higher in the last year or two. I'd be looking for a salary of at least 15k plus housing before I'd make a move over.