1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!! My memory stick is apparently empty, what do I do???

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by laineybaker, Oct 13, 2011.

1. When I plugged my memory stick into my computer tonight it came up with all symbols for file names instead of proper words. In tyring to solve the problem I right clicked properties, tools, then error checking. This seemed to make sense so clicked ok but it has done something to all my files. In the properties tab it still says the disk is nearly full, but when you try to open anything it says the folder is empty. What does this mean???? What do I do??? I just bought a new external hard drive to back up my stick over half term. It would be typical if I have lost everything now as OFSTED are due imminently.
    Please if anyone can help, i'm desperate.
    Thank you in advance xx

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I'm not an expert but I think the main thing is to keep calm. First of all, shut down and restart your computer. If you can, try the memory stick in another computer. If all is good, I would get a Dropbox account and save your files in that and then access them at school. If you do use pen drives, they should always contain copies of files rather than originals so as soon as you get sorted, back up. Don't wait until half term!

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Try a different port on your computer. Its happened to me before and was just a glitch. Hopefully its the same for you too.
    You may want to look at getting GoodSync. This means you'sync' the info on your memory stick and computer/backup so you always have the latest info on all, keeping it safe if anything does happen.
    Hope you get it working! x

4. Go to www.savemyusb.com. This is a seriously good service - I knocked my laptop off the table with my usb stick still plugged in and it completely snapped in half! Customer service is first rate and all of my data was retrieved really quickly! Reasonably priced too, but obviously the quicker you want it fixed, the more expensive it gets... Still, they pretty much saved my life and so they get my highest recommendation!

5. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

I dropped my laptop and it crushed my memory stick. Gutting. Pick yourself up and start again. And like someone else has said, it might be better :)