1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! My baby only eats snacks!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ladybug3, Dec 21, 2011.

1. LO is 13 months and has suddenly become incredibly fussy. She has always eaten fairly well and eats whole bowlfuls of normal meals at nursery. However, at home, the range of foods she will eat is getting narrower! At the moment she will eat toast (with jam or pate), yoghurt (but basically just to spread it around as she won't eat off a spoon and can't feed herself with one yet) pieces of plain chicken, chunks of cheese and cornflakes!
    My question is, should I offer her these foods all the time and then gradually add some more in? Or should I offer her meals (ie what we eat) and then something she will eat afterwards? Or should I offer her meals, take them away when she has not eaten them and give her nothing else? I don't want to create a fussy eater, but I don't want her to go hungry either...
    I am sure this question has been asked before, but I can't find the thread. I feel quite stressed about it!

2. LO is 13 months and has suddenly become incredibly fussy. She has always eaten fairly well and eats whole bowlfuls of normal meals at nursery. However, at home, the range of foods she will eat is getting narrower! At the moment she will eat toast (with jam or pate), yoghurt (but basically just to spread it around as she won't eat off a spoon and can't feed herself with one yet) pieces of plain chicken, chunks of cheese and cornflakes!
    My question is, should I offer her these foods all the time and then gradually add some more in? Or should I offer her meals (ie what we eat) and then something she will eat afterwards? Or should I offer her meals, take them away when she has not eaten them and give her nothing else? I don't want to create a fussy eater, but I don't want her to go hungry either...
    I am sure this question has been asked before, but I can't find the thread. I feel quite stressed about it!

3. Try not to stress. Your baby will not starve herself! If she is eating well at nursery then you are halfway there. I personally would offer her meals, which include one of the things she will eat, and make sure you sit and eat together.I think if you keep offering things she will try them at some point.
    My lo can have fussy stages, but we just keep putting her normal meals in front of her and if she doesn't eat them that's her choice, I just give her some fruit and yoghurt for pudding as normal. If she really hasn't eaten much at all I offer some toast or something for supper just before bed.
    I definitely find that lo eats better if we sit and eat together, all eating the same thing. We don't focus on what or how much she is eating, we chat about the day and she eats quite happily sitting at the table.

4. My LO (14 months) is the same and I was getting down about it but babies and toddlers are like that! Lunch time was particularly stressful, but I've come to think that he really isn't that hungry at lunchtime. He often has a large breakfast, and a fruity snack before 1pm so he's probably just full. I think that sometimes we over estimate what babies and toddlers need - today he had a cheerio and raisin breakfast, followed by a crumpet, 5 grains of rice for lunch, [​IMG] but some fruit, bread and rice cakes later, and then more of his vegetable chilli and a fruit pot/yogurt for tea than he's had in a long time so I think I'm going to lay off a 'formal' lunch (obviously until Christmas day!) for a while. I don't make him anything else if he doesn't eat his tea - he sleeps through about 6 nights out of 7, so I would judge by that he's not hungry! Also I read somewhere that about 13 months growth slows down along with appetite. Hope this helps - I know how stressful it is so I feel for you x

5. Thanks for your replies, I guess I just have to chill out! I am wondering if she is just having too much milk and snacks and is not hungry for meals. I cut portions of breakfast and morning snack today and made lunch later and she ate lots of pizza with cheese and ham on it and nearly a whole yoghurt. Now about to see if she will eat the pasta I have made her for tea!