1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!!!Mental block for ofsted!!! YEAR 4 FUN FRACTIONS!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by *Elaine*, Nov 13, 2008.

1. I've literally spent about 5 hours staring blankly at the internet looking for fun ideas.
    I need to plan for sets across year 4, ranging for 2b to 3a/4c.
    Going to start with a quick recap on fractions at beginning of lessons on monday then equivalent fractions using pizzas then mixed fractions on Tues.
    Ofsted are in on Wed. I wanted to find fractions of a shapeon wed then fractions of a quantity on thurs.
    Does anyone have any inspiring ideas with the wow factor? I've lost any wow I ever had and feeling empty headed. really want to do some investigations and move away fromn just answering questions.

I've already seached here n no luck.

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. I've literally spent about 5 hours staring blankly at the internet looking for fun ideas.
    I need to plan for sets across year 4, ranging for 2b to 3a/4c.
    Going to start with a quick recap on fractions at beginning of lessons on monday then equivalent fractions using pizzas then mixed fractions on Tues.
    Ofsted are in on Wed. I wanted to find fractions of a shapeon wed then fractions of a quantity on thurs.
    Does anyone have any inspiring ideas with the wow factor? I've lost any wow I ever had and feeling empty headed. really want to do some investigations and move away fromn just answering questions.

I've already seached here n no luck.

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3. Smartie fractions!
    http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/maths/pdfs/smarties.pdf

that website might have other ideas- i don't know if it will fit in with what your doing but every class iv thought has loved it!!!

4. Yeah had a look at that before, how would you differentiate it? Would it last the whole lesson?

5. Also on primary resources is a pizza game (I think that is where I got it from!).

I then photocopied different coloured pizzas and cut them into slices. The c'ren had to match cards with fraction picture and fraction to win a piece of pizza. Each time they had to say what fraction of pizza they had and how much they still needed.

Smartie lesson is good but not that good for differentiation and it also depends on whether your c'ren are well behaved! I have set that for a fun homework activity before.

6. Oooh that sounds nice, think I'm gonna do some pizza style activity for equivilant fractions on mon and mixed numbers on tues.

The problem is that Ofsted are in on Wed and Thurs.

I want to do a shape investigation on wed but my mind is blank and then move onto fractions of numbers on thurs. Does anyone have ideas for fun activities/practical investigations for this stuff?

I feel like screaming now. Our Maths coordinator is off on stress leave and feel like I'm headed the same way. ha ha

xxxxxx

7. You do have to do the solid teaching but depending on the class and behaviour i would try as much as possible to make it fun. I use chocolate cakes instead of pizza...but that's just me.
    I would give the children different fractions on card, that way you can differentiate it, as some of the fractions could have pictures to help and you have control on how hard to make the top group along with (brain muddled on correct word here) er...6 halves etc.
    • I would then get them to sort themselves out into groups. Like greater, less or equal to half,
    • get into groups of their friends and order themselves in size.
    • get into pairs to find totals to 1
    • totals bigger than 1 in pairs.
    • find fractions that are the same as each other especially if the diagram is different.
    plasticine and lengths of tape, money, sweets like smarties etc very good for fractions.
    I often as the plenary give them colouring matching so they colour in what matches. They enjoy that much more than just writing 2 quarters equals a half.
    Hope it's helped and not muddled you even more. Try not to be too "out there" as it'll just panic you more.
    I had an ofsted about 18month ago. The inspector came in for 20mins and then went somewhere else. I was given an excellent even though in my opinion it was rubbish. He missed the plenary time which would have shown that the kids hadn't grasped the concept. Oh well, at least I new they hadn't grasped it...lol.

8. didnt realise I had typed so much lol.
    and look how posh I am using the bullet points. [​IMG]

9. wow thanks for the ideas guys. Think i've got just about enough to keep me going. really appreciate the help :) xxx

10. Thankyou! Great ideas! :)