1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Medical appointments do they have to be taken as unpaid leave?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by donut gal, Apr 15, 2011.

1. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Best to ask HR about how much you'd lose. If you were full time you'd lose 1/365th not the 1/195th that you would actually be absent for. So how they work out part time is probably complicated.

Out of curiosity, what would be the justification for putting a grievance in? I ask because at the moment I bend the rules all the time. For example, if it were my school, I would give the time off with leave if you could make up the hours at another time. But that would also depend upon the knock on effect of others e.g changes to PPA timings/timetables etc.

My main concern with bending the rules is that if there comes an instance when I can't, then I might be leaving myself open to a grievance.

2. casper

casper New commenter

I have had Breast Cancer. I had time of while on chemo as my bloods were so low I could have caught serious infections at school. I went back to school while still having treatment. I had to have treatment every three weeks for a year. I did this on a Friday after school, this was only becasaue the hospital arranged for me to do this. So I do have occassional appointment s I ahve had to take during the day. I have tried to have them before school if possible. I am covered by DDA. I now need to have a port removed, ie an oepration so I will have to have time off , a day to have this done.
    In other words I move heaven and earth to ensure I do not have time off durting school hours but sometimes it is unavoidable.

3. I always aim to try and take my appointments outside of my work hours e.g. physio / pain clinic and any hospital appointment that I have at least some control over. Sometimes it just isnt possible. with these 2 appointments MrDG is attending with me and we have had to also organise what time is least effected for his work too as he is a shift worker. Bizarrley his work have been really understanding and a colleague offered to change shifts..... so all sorted there
    At least on the day in question it is only 3 hours and not 6 working hours!!

I really don't understand about putting in a grievance......... just doesn't make any sense really.!! Just how to get peoples backs up