1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help me to lose weight!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by headforheights, Sep 10, 2011.

1. I am at least 1.5 stones overwieght - my clothes are too tight (I can't wear some of them), I feel bloated and uncomfortable. I have a sweet tooth and I love my carbs. I also don't really do any exercise.
    I know what I should be doing and I do want to shift the weight and feel better about myself but it's all a bit of a vicious circle. I am overweight, I feel fed up I eat rubbish and so I put on more weight, etc, etc.
    It's my TOM and so I am feeling even more blobby.
    Any advice / kicks up the bum are entirely welcome.
    Thanks!

2. I am at least 1.5 stones overwieght - my clothes are too tight (I can't wear some of them), I feel bloated and uncomfortable. I have a sweet tooth and I love my carbs. I also don't really do any exercise.
    I know what I should be doing and I do want to shift the weight and feel better about myself but it's all a bit of a vicious circle. I am overweight, I feel fed up I eat rubbish and so I put on more weight, etc, etc.
    It's my TOM and so I am feeling even more blobby.
    Any advice / kicks up the bum are entirely welcome.
    Thanks!

3. The only person who can actually do anything about this is you. You need to start exercising and cutting out the ****. Anything processed is a no go. Protein is your friend, particularly in the morning. Choose ways to make yourself better that don't involve eating rubbish.

4. Have you joined e.g. Weightwatchers or Slimming World before? Perhaps you need group support.

5. I did weight watchers online a while ago. I can't really get to meetings. I would really like a diet buddy. Am better on more of a one to one. Does any one know of anything on line?

6. Are you sure that's enough for you? It's easy to ignore pixels.

7. Eat less, exercise more.

8. Start with one thing at a time. Maybe cut out sugar first. Choose one extra thing to do each day, like walk up stairs or to work. Every week, add something else to your list like no bread or no cheese/dairy. There are other wonderful foods out there and sometimes you just have to modify things slightly.

Also, once you stop certain things, you stop craving them more often than enough. After christmas all I want is junk food but give it 3 weeks of chilli salmon and peppered asparagus and im standing there craving them in the supermarket. A diet is always hard at the beginning, and giving up something your addicted to is normally only hard for the first 3 days too.

9. I know how you feel, I have just rearranged my wardrobe to have a "keeping but too tight at the moment" section. I'm afraid I have to disagree with xmas pud - I find the first 3 days (even a week) of a diet easy, it's the second and third week, when I'm starting to miss things but the weight loss isn't noticable yet that I find hard.
    For me the only thing to do is plan ahead, make sure you have enough healthy stuff in, know what you are going to have when you get in starving from work, prepare meals in advance as far as possible. When I was doing weight watchers one of the women there used to make up a big batch of zero point soup (essentially vegetable soup) that she could warm a bowl of up to eat the minute she got in from work which would stop her nibbling on calorie laden stuff while she cooked her evening meal. If you are a nibbler (as I am, especially in the evening) you need to have low fat nibbles available - carrot sticks, pepper whatever, especially is you tend to eat from boredom rather than hunger. I sometimes find that when I'm feeling hungry if I have a drink I discover I was actually thirsty.
    Good Luck

10. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Losing weight is hard, but so worth it, so you need to be motivated for a start!
    Exercise more and eat less is basically it, as others have said. Join a gym or do aerobics a few times a week. Within a few weeks it will be part of your routine.
    If you have a sweet tooth then try to substitute your snacks for lower calorie ones. Muller light yoghurts are nice and just under 100 calories. Jelly is also good. Or if you want chocolate buy one of those mini choc bars, the Freddo ones, or get some dark chocolate as you can't eat as much.
    My baby is 4 months old and i've been back exercising for the past 10 weeks and I feel so much better for it as i can fit into some old clothes now. Once you start seeing results it becomes even more addictive!

11. I have lost over a stone since May by following the Dukan diet and kept at my target weight. Buying the paper back book was all I needed to get started, but there are some online sites to support this diet and to give recipe ideas. It has been easy to maintain the weight loss so far. I have tried many other diets in the past, but this is my favourite and the only one that has caused me to make long term changes in my eating habits.

12. Do you think you will be able to maintain it long term mammal?

13. I hope so. I now have negative thoughts towards certain unhealthy food choices and without much effort have quickly suppresed any temporary weight gain now that I am at my target. A 16 nigh5 cruise with only a 2 lbs gain which I more than lost in one week was a good sign.

14. The thread for obese people who are 3 stones too heavy is attracting a lot of fans, they seem to be shifting the kiloes too. Give it a try.

15. headflower

headflower New commenter

No, really? How helpful