1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help me teach abroad .

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by sophiehall2011, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hello I am an NQT, I have completed 2 terms in a school and want to go travelling for 1 year. I would love to teach in Canada or USA. Can I work as a teacher there only being an NQT?
    Does anyone have this experience or know what I can do?
    Will my induction period still take place in the USA/Canada?
    Any help or advice kindly accepted.
    Thanks xxx

2. Hello I am an NQT, I have completed 2 terms in a school and want to go travelling for 1 year. I would love to teach in Canada or USA. Can I work as a teacher there only being an NQT?
    Does anyone have this experience or know what I can do?
    Will my induction period still take place in the USA/Canada?
    Any help or advice kindly accepted.
    Thanks xxx

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

No, not at present although I believe some rulings are coming in re British schools abroad?
    You'd be best to post in the Teaching Overseas forum for info re requirements. In Aus you need to have taught for at least 12 months post qualification (and your qualifications must have been 4 years at Uni NOT GTP). No idea about US/Canada I'm afraid but sure some people on there will be able to help you out xx

4. loranp

loranp New commenter

The biggest network of British schools in the US ask for two years of teaching experience - i.e. NQT year plus another year. Most contracts are two years in length from what I gather from reading the overseas forum.

5. For your QTS to be fully recognised in all possible countries then normally passing induction leads to fewer complications. WQhiloe you have QTS it is possible that some countries will not recognise this unlessyou also pass induction, others will be happy to accept QTS as an overseas qualification. You will have to search out the various educations boards in the countries you wish to work in order to fully clarify your status. At present you cannot complete induction in a school abroad (apart from a few overseas forces schools in certain countries) but there are proposals to allow NQTs to do induction in some schools aborad, at present we do not have the full details other than an intention to allow this and for this to become a reality there would need to be a change in the law. That may or may not happen for this September. In the USA you would have to seek calrification from each State in which you wanted to work and different states have different teacher recognition rules. Indeed, a person trained in one state is not necessarily qualified to teach in another state.
    The Sage

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Having taught overseas since 1998, I have had the good fortune to have had quite a few American colleagues. My guess is that they would all say the same thing, namely that it is very difficult (but not completely impossible) for a Brit to find a teaching job in the U.S. of A. In many cases, teaching unions in the States have "closed shop" agreements and there are all kinds of difficulties associated with getting your UK qualifications recognised in America. There are also thousand of well-qualified American teachers who cannot find jobs, so why should any American school go to the hassle and bother of hiring a Brit?